Sunday, August 5, 2012

Baked Yellow Squash with Italian Sausage!

Anyone who knows me knows I absolutely LOVE Farmers Markets.  Everything is so fresh and hard to resist.  Yesterday I went to our local Farmers Market and although it is very very small I managed to get enough produce to make lots of vegetable dishes the next two days.

One of my new tries had to be with one of the items I bought and I decided it would be yellow squash.  Well I came up with an idea out of the blue!  I knew I didn't want to prepare a dish with tomatoes or sauce; that I knew for sure! Here is what I did and goodness gracious I love it!

Note:  Feel free to add your favorite red sauce to top this delicious summery meal.

Topped with mozzarella just adds the right added touch.

Hollow out and stuff


Of course I got to have the first taste.  Yummy!


Happy Baking and Cooking from my kitchen to yours,
 M.J.

1 yellow squash cleaned and hollowed out.
1/2 lb. Italian sweet ground sausage cooked and drained or for a healthier meal use ground chicken or turkey.
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup Pecorino Romano cheese
1 garlic clove minced
1/4 sweet onion grated
1/2 tsp. dried parsley
1/2 to 3/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella
pinch salt and pepper

After cleaning and  hollowing out squash place in microwave safe dish, cover with a paper towel and cook on high for 2 minutes.

In a separate pot saute sausage until pink disappears.  Take off stove and add breadcrumbs, parsley, onion, garlic and cheese.  Work with hands until breadcrumbs disappear and blend with sausage. Fill hollowed out squash.

In a baking dish place 1/2 to 1 cup chicken broth.  Place filled squash and cover tightly with foil.  Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees.  Remove from oven spoon some chicken broth over top and add mozzarella.  Place back in oven and bake until cheese starts to melt.

 *Serve as a meal with a salad or you can serve it with some pasta seasoned with olive oil and garlic with a pinch of parsley. Red sauce can be used to top as well. 


No comments: