Friday, June 22, 2012

Apple of my eye Apple Cake!

I came across this recipe that I had copied a very long time ago and I don't even remember if I had made it or not but just looking at the ingredients I felt that it needed something additional to be added to it.  I'm thinking this recipe may have been my mom's or maybe grandma's.  The original recipe didn't have any baking powder in it so I added it and it had salt and I eliminated it.  I also added 2/3 cup sour cream to the recipe figuring some sour cream couldn't hurt it.  Next time I may try Greek yogurt as a substitution for the sour cream.

 *Note:  I don't have a clue why I named it the above but it sounded like an appealing name for a really good tasting and good looking cake.  This cake doesn't need any icing or even drizzle.  It is perfect the way it is..





Happy Baking from my kitchen to yours,
 
 M.J



Here is my recipe:



Changing up Mom’s Apple cake

I decided to upgrade this recipe to make it a bit more moist .


1/3 cup softened margarine or butter
1 ¼ cup sugar
2 eggs
1 ½ cup flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. cinnamon
2/3 cup sour cream
2 cups thinly sliced apples
¼ cup chopped nuts (I used chopped pecans)

Cream shortening, add sugar, eggs and beat well.  Add dry ingredients alternating with sour cream.  Mix well.  Fold in apples and nuts.

Bake 350 degrees in well greased and floured bunt pan for 40 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center is clean.

No comments: