Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Spin off Veal Osso Bucco!

 I bought freshly ground veal and didn't have a clue what to make with it other than veal patties with some marinara sauce and mozzarella so I checked out some veal sites on the web and came up with Veal Osso Bucco my way.  I read the ingredients and it looked as though I had everything I needed for it so I made a stove top version of it with my fresh ground veal.  Here is the recipe using the ground veal.  I served it over browned rice and  hubby and I totally enjoyed it.  Hope you might try it!  It's a spin off but if you looking to spruce up your dinner give this a try and I think you will enjoy it. I was able to taste a hint of the lemon and thyme.

Easy stove top that is healthy too!


Note:  I didn't use any wine and I drained my diced tomatoes before using them.
Happy Cooking!
 
M.J.

1 lb. fresh ground veal
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup flour
1 large onion diced
1 cup carrots chopped
1 stalk celery chopped
3 cloves garlic minced
1/2 tsp. lemon zest
*1/2 cup dry wine (I eliminated it)
1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1- 15 oz. can drained diced tomatoes
1 bay leaf
2 tsp. fresh thyme
salt and pepper

Mixture will reduce and thicken when cover is removed.



Saute' veal that was tossed with the 1/2 cup flour in oil in a medium size Dutch oven pot, add butter and cook slowly until lightly browned (leaving large pieces of ground veal).
After browned take from pan and put into dish and set aside.

Add onion, carrot and celery to the pot and cook until onion is translucent.  Add garlic and lemon zest and saute' for a few seconds more. Add wine and reduce slightly.*(At his point I added chicken stock, drained tomatoes, bay leaf and thyme and added salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil and then add the cooked veal.  Cover and let cook approximately 1/2 hour.  Take lid off and let mixture thicken approximate 1/2 hour more. Serve over brown rice.


5/16/12





No comments: