Sunday, July 3, 2011

Three Summer Picnic Salads: Great to serve your family and friends

***Update:  I have used onion powder recently in my salads and feel good about it’s flavoring instead on grated onion.  I have found on occasion grated or chopped onion too strong.  Especially red onion!  It’s your choice on whether to use it or not!

***Also another option on potatoes I have cubed my potatoes and boiled in salted water, drained well and completely cooled before mixing potato salad.  Hoping these suggestions help in my quest to simplify my recipes.😋😊

I was going to change my menu and do something different  for the 4th but when I'm having a family picnic it just seems right to make potato and macaroni salad and for an added touch I'm making green bean salad.  They're as traditional as you can get. They add the touch to a juicy hamburger or a hot dog..So I'm posting my basic potato,macaroni and bean salad recipes.. Basic recipes, easy and a nice touch to your picnic meal.. Enjoy!!!

Basic Potato Salad

4 cups, cooked, pealed and cubes potatoes..(5 or 6 medium)
1 cup chopped celery
small onion grated( I’ve been using onion powder) 1/2 tsp. Or more
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 tsp. vinegar
1+  cup Mayonnaise ( Mom used Miracle Whip)
* 2 tablespoons sour cream if desired( Mom used to add to her basic Potato salad recipe to make it creamier instead of vinegar)
2 hard cooked eggs

Cook potatoes in slightly salted water..Cool and peel. Chop celery and grate onion..add to cubed potatoes..Mix mayonnaise, salt, pepper, sugar and vinegar...and sour cream if desired..Mix well and top with sliced eggs..Happy 4th!



Oh so good Potato Salad




Ready to add your mayo!

Classic Macaroni Salad

8 oz. elbow macaroni or any small macaroni..Cook according to directions
Rinse thoroughly with cold water and drain
3/4 cup Miracle Whip
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 cup chopped diced celery
1/2 cup chopped red or green pepper
1 tsp. grated carrot
1/4 cup grated onion

In large bowl blend Miracle Whip, salt, pepper..Add macaroni, red pepper, celery, carrot and onion..Toss well and refrigerate until ready to use..



Ready to eat!

All the ingredients except dressing

Green Bean salad ( 1clove minced garlic, salt, pepper..olive oil and red wine vinegar)

7/3/11

No comments: