Wednesday, August 21, 2024

One pot Italian meal

Easy one pot meal tonight. I made my changes as noted with asterisk **.










  • 1 pound Italian sausage (**I removed skin and the cut the sausage in small pieces)

  • ½ cup chopped green or **variegated pepper

  • 1 medium onion, chopped

    **I Clove minced garlic 

    1 tsp. Dried basil or parsley**

  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes (**I used Hunts petite diced)including juice

  • 2 cups vegetable juice from concentrate (**I used Campbell tomato juice)

  • 1 ½ cups instant rice

  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

    ***Note: I mixed mozzarella and sharp cheddar cheese to top this easy dinner.


Cook sausage in a large skillet until no longer pink, 4 to 6 minutes. Drain off excess fat. Add bell pepper , garlic and onion; cook until slightly crisp. Add diced tomatoes and vegetable juice; cook and stir until boiling.

  1. Remove from the heat and stir in rice. Cover the skillet and let stand until liquid is absorbed, 5 to 8 minutes.


  1. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over sausage, tomato, and rice mixture. Cover again and let stand until cheese is melted.


    NOTE: 

    I used mild sausage for this recipe

    And added about a 1/2 tsp. Red pepper


    **For an added bite I would use hot sausage.


 Note:

If you prefer regular rice instead of minute rice.  Cook the regular rice separately and add to tomato peppers mixture after the mixture is thoroughly cooked. About 20 to 30 minutes.



No comments: