Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Homemade chicken stock















Today more than ever wise grocery shopping is a must.

One of the best values I have found is using 100% of a Costco rotisserie chicken.  After you have eaten all you enjoy why not make chicken stock?  The below is what I do and you can do it too!  One of the many ways to save your money.

Enjoy!  

 I clean the chicken of almost all the fat.  We don’t eat the legs so I leave the legs and wings on it.  (You can still use the carcass if you clean it better than I do).  It’s those ribs and bones that make an awesome stock.

My recipe in my words.

Note: after refrigerating overnight you will notice the stock will be gelled slightly.

Immerse the chicken in a pot of cold water.  I add lots of celery tops and some celery stalks too, maybe two carrots some salt and dried parsley (if fresh I would add it).  When it comes to a boil and turn it down and let it cook for 2 hours or more.  I keep push ing the chicken down and turning it over. I leave a lid tilted on it. 

When it is room temperature I remove the carcass and There is usually enough chicken on the carcass to pull off and add to the soup. I strain the broth. 

I allow it to cool completely before I refrigerate it.

I haven’t used a bay leave to it but since reading Barbara’s post I would consider adding g a bay leaf to the original recipe I mentioned.  Hope this helps😘

I recently used a larger pot and used two carcasses.  After I strained it I allowed it to stay in refrigerator overnight.

  I’ve made two pots of vegetable soup with it and it was delicious.  Below is vegetable soup.



I also froze 2 quarts so when I want to make soup again. If needed after frozen I wouldn’t  hesitate to add some canned chicken broth or better than bouillon to the frozen one if it needed it.






 


 


 


 


 


 

No comments: