Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Gardening Zinnias 2020

Gardening can be an easy and fun hobby.

My zinnia garden has primarily been started with seeds from previous years.  The below photos are from this year.

The first step is easy.  If you are not using seeds from another year buy quality zinnia seeds at your local lawn and garden center.  My original seeds were bought at our Agway Garden Center.

Wait until there is so sign of frost.  Usually after Memorial Day or June 1st.

I plant my seeds behind existing shrubs to deer proof them.  We have plenty of deer that just love any flowers but unless they are up and front they usually don't bother them.  So beware you may have to spray a deer repellent if they are close to an area deer are know to habitat.

Using a long screwdriver or garden tool I made a 1/4'line in the soil and spread seeds gently into soil. I then cover the seeds with a fine garden or potting soil.  Water gently with a spray mist until seedlings are established.  It takes anywhere from 7 to 10 days depending on warmness of soil and weather temperature.

The photos below should help you to understand the growing adventure.

Good Luck!







Note:  you may need to support the zinnias as the grow.  I buy twine and put posts on each end to give support to the zinnias.
From my Happy Garden to yours,






No comments: