Monday, April 20, 2020

Nana's Chicken Ravioli Filling

My mom and my grandmother on my Dad's side made traditional Ravioli with beef, pork and veal but my mom's mama(who I call Nana) made her filling with chicken..I can attribute mom making her's like Grandma because she, my Dad and I lived with her for a while when my Dad went to college so I'm thinking that mom got her basic tips from grandma...so that explains the history between meat and chicken Ravioli..I can go on about the differences in the way they cooked but the outcome was all the same...Great Food!!.

These days food processors are available but mom and Nana used a regular food grinder to grind their ingredients.

Here is Nana's Ravioli Filling:

1/2 cup cooked chicken, finely chopped
1/2 cup cooked and drained spinach, finely chopped
2 tbsp. plain bread crumbs
2 tbsp. grated cheese, salt and pepper to taste.
1 egg beaten

I don't know how many chicken ravioli's the above would make but I do remember that everything was so fine(I think Nana used one of those old time grinders because she used to can and I remember lots of things going in and coming out ..and that included relish and her own sausage..

Dough recipe:

Flour,eggs, salt and a little water...No basic recipe for her dough..I'm looking though and if or when I find it I'll edit and post it..Until next time!!! Happy Cooking............

Note:  I was so pleased with the Cappelletti dough that I am going to make the same dough and fill it with Nana's Ravioli filling..Here is the recipe I decided to make adjusting it to my taste. Happy Cooking!




1 lb. chicken breasts (cooked and chopped in food processor) You can either boil the chicken or microwave..I suggest adding a little salt to the water if you boil.
 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
1/4cup chopped spinach (cooked)
1/3 cup Italian cheese
1 egg beaten

In food processor add cooked chicken chicken or chopper, add spinach, egg, breadcrumbs and Italian cheese. Process all the until incorporated.

Dough recipe:

Dough:

4 cups regular flour
5 whole eggs
1 tbsp. oil
1/4 cup water plus a little more
1 tsp. salt

Mom said this recipe makes 140 Ravioli.. 

No comments: