Saturday, March 28, 2020

Apple cinnamon bunt cake

Rainy day baking.  This recipe was found on Pinterest.  

I adapted the recipe to my liking and it is noted in the recipe in red lettering.

Note:  I prefer butter in my recipes so you will see butter was used instead of the oil.  I had the Gala apples and they sliced very nicely so they baked nicely and the cake was baked quicker than expected.





  • 6 to 8 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and thinly sliced(I used gala apples)
  • 1 1/4 tablespoons granulated white sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar 
  • 3/4 cup vegetable or canola oil (I used melted butter)
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour

  • Topping: 2 T sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon







  • Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a bunt or springform pan with nonstick spray.  Line bottom on pan as best with parchment paper.  I cut mine to fit.  I cut a whole in center for opening in bunt pan. Spray again.

    Layer the apple slices in the same direction all around the pan until the apples are about 2/3 up the pan.  Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar over apples.

    In a large mixer bowl place eggs and sugar and beat well.  Add oil(I added melted butter), applesauce and vanilla.  Beat well. Add flour and beat slowly until incorporated.

    Pour batter on top of apples slowly and sprinkle with a little more cinnamon and sugar.  Tap pan to make sure batter goes around apples.

    Bake approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.

    My cake was done in an hour.  Test yours.  All ovens are different.

    Allow to cool completely before removing from pan.  I did not so mine stuck slightly.

    It would be a good idea to refrigerate or leave overnight before removing from pan.

    I wanted to serve mine warm with ice cream so being inpatient was not a good idea. It stuck slightly to pan.

     Note: You can easily warm a slice in your microwave if you would like it warm.

    It delicious and not too sweet. Enjoy!



    No comments: