Tuesday, February 11, 2020

White Bean Chicken chili

 I made white chicken chili years ago.  Here's a new and updated version.

We totally enjoyed it.  A very nice change to add to your menu.


The original is from allrecipes.com


New recipe!

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion chopped fine
2 cloves garlic grated
1 - 4 oz. can diced jalapeno peppers(eliminated)
1 - 4 oz. can chopped green chiles
2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. dried oregano* I used Italian seasoning adjust amount to your liking
1 tsp. cayenne pepper*I only used a pinch
2 (14.5 oz) chicken broth
3 cups chopped chicken breast* I used raw and cooked it as part of recipe
3 (15 ox. can white bean)*I drained and rinsed
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese.

In a large pot I sauteed chopped chicken breast, onion and garlic in a small amount of vegetable oil and a small amount of salt and black pepper until onion and garlic were translucent and chicken was no longer pink.

I then added the drained green chiles, cumin, cayenne and Italian seasoning, drained beans and broth.

Simmer on top of stove for approximately 20 minutes. Smash the beans slightly to add texture.   Add shredded cheese and serve.

Note:  I think this recipe would work well in a crockpot.  I would saute the chicken, onions and garlic first then add to crockpot with broth and seasoning  and cook on low for several hours.  

You could smash the beans slightly for a thicker type broth as well.














No comments: