Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Easy shrimp in chunky marinara sauce (short cut recipe)

If you ever hesitated to buy a jar sauce for the in a pinch meal both hubby and I actually enjoy this brand.

I think the main reason is it’s not over seasoned as many jarred sauce is.  True Italians do not use oregano and most jar sauce is loaded with that herb.  It overtakes the delicious tomato flavor.  Simple ingredients, basic spices as in garlic, basil and fresh olive oil make a delicious sauce.  Imo this brand comes the closest.

If you have a favorite jar sauce then this is a recipe you can easily adapt using your favorite pasta sauce. I use Victoria brand.

I do not buy jar sauce..I am a homemade from scratch cook but and I must say I was tempted at Costco...I know everything at Costco is tempting that's why I spent $$ there but they do have good buys on many items I use.

When I was there recently picking up a few things(and samples too) they had pasta samples using Victoria Marinara Sauce.. See photo.

It was really tasty and not over done with spices and if you like a chunky tomato sauce this is a good one.  I like spices but not so many that your first instinct is to taste an overwhelming oregano or some other very overpowering flavor.  Not for the Italian in me! 

 I love garlic, basil and sometimes a bit of sweet onion but that's about it and fresh or crushed tomatoes are a must when making my homemade sauce.

This sauce was really good. I mean really good so it's going to be my fall back jar sauce.  Note: that's saying a lot because I'd rather go without pasta than to use a jar one. Truth be told...


10/30/2019. Hubby Birthday penne( hubby’s favorite)



Using spaghetti  12/20/17
1/8/2020


Ok today I had some frozen shrimp and thought it'd be a good start making some scampi using Victorias sauce.  My husband and I were totally impressed and here's my first recipe using it.  Shrimp in Marinara tossed with linguine pasta.

Approximately l lb. 31/40 large shrimp(cooked)peeled and deveined)
Note: I thawed these shrimp overnight separating them with paper towels to drain well.
About 1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1 clove minced garlic
20 oz. Victorian brand Marinara sauce
3/4 lb. linguine pasta cooked and drained well
Pecorino Romano cheese to your liking.


In a deep skillet or dutch oven place about 1/4 cup olive oil. Allow to warm slightly and add 1 clove minced garlic or more depending on your tastebuds to the olive oil.  Allow the garlic to simmer slightly.  Add defrosted shrimp(I remove tails) and parsley. Allow shrimp to cook a few minutes until they start to sizzle a bit.  Add marinara sauce and cook until heated through. It will start to bubble slightly. Do not overcook shrimp.  Add cooked and drained pasta (I added the pasta directly into the sauce)and toss well adding some good pecorino romano cheese.  Serve immediately.





I have to say this sauce was delicious. I may try it again. Enjoy!


No comments: