Saturday, August 24, 2019

Monterey chicken






Hi 

I've been saving this recipe for some time hoping to make it for company.  It's a nice quick casserole type meal.  Served with a salad it completes a meal.

Today seemed as good as any to try it.  It's a first time.  My only complaint is calls for  too much spinach. It was hard to mix it thoroughly through the pasta.  I will definitely cut back for us the next time. I'm really happy it was just the two of us.  I would have been disappointed if I had made it for guests.  The only option you might have is to add more sour cream. I did add the one cup but maybe two would have been better. Also It needed a pinch of salt so make sure you add salt to your water when you boil the spaghetti. 


Another suggestion. Freeze any left over chicken you may have for meals like this.  They come in handy as mine did today. Original 8/7/17


Add caption


Here's a recipe you can make with rotisserie chicken in a pinch. 

When I make soup I always use lots of chicken and what I don't use I cut up and store in zip lock bags in the freezer for meals like this one.

6 oz. spaghetti, broken in half,  cooked according to directions
1 cup shredded or diced cooked chicken(you can use store bought cooked chicken in a pinch)
1 cup sour cream
1 egg
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups grated Monterey Jack Cheese
10 oz. frozen spinach, rinsed and drained. Note: I think 10 oz. is too much but if you love spinach then it might be ok for you. I would use half a package or 5 oz. if I were to make it again.
3 oz. can french fried onions


Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Spray a 13x9 in baking dish with cooking spray

Boil spaghetti and drain and add to a large mixing bowl.  I rinsed mine slightly to remove some starch.

In another bowl add egg, sour cream, garlic powder,salt, chicken, spinach and half of the french fried onions.  Stir and mix well. Add to drained pasta and mix well.

Place in baking dish and top with remainder of french fried onions. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake 20 minutes at 350. Remove foil and bake another 5 minutes.  Serve immediately.  Enjoy!













Happy Cooking from my kitchen to yours,


5/29/17

No comments: