Sunday, June 2, 2019

Green Beans and potatoes





This has long been a family favorite since way back when.  My mom and grandmother as well as my mother- in- law made this delicious side a lot but mostly in the summer when green beans were plentiful. Pole beans were an Italian favorite or if you could find flat beans were especially a treat. Meaty and tender  I remember growing flat beans in our garden when we were first married.  Such a nice memory.

I don't know if any of you have ever had this or made it but it's very simple to make. Enjoy!


6/16/16


Fresh  green beans and potato salad.

I lb. green beans cleaned and cooked al dente or to your taste (drain)
1 clove minced garlic
Olive oil
White wine vinegar to taste
Parsley pinch or so as desired
2 peeled, washed and cooked potatoes cut in cubes (drain)
Salt and pepper to taste

Place green beans and potatoes in a large pot of salted water.  Bring to a boil. Cook until tender, drain .  Add 1 Clove minced garlic or more if you really enjoy garlic, pinch or two of dried parsley and olive oil.  Sauté for a few minutes. Enjoy!

If you choose to make it a salad.  Remove from stove, allow to cool and once it is cool add a splash or two or three of red or white wine vinegar, fresh parsley if possible salt and pepper.  Refrigerate until ready to use.

 **This has to be one of my favorite family recipes.  It was a staple warm in the winter and cold in the summer side dish. 

 The warm version I did not add the vinegar to.  Only the cold version and then I would eliminate the oil but it doesn't affect the taste it is just that when cooled the oil may solidify.

I am so happy to share my family recipes.  







No comments: