Monday, April 8, 2019

Lemon ricotta Pancakes with fruit

  • I  have been laying low with heavy meals while my stomach settles.  It's been a rough week so soup, pasta and even pancakes have been all that I am able to tolerate.
  • My mom always make from scratch pancakes and my family is used to fluffy and light pancakes so other than eating ricotta pancakes at a local Pittsburgh restaurant this is a first doing this type. 

 I came across this this recipe that although it seemed like a lot of work it turned out to be certainly worth the effort. Of course I adapted it to my liking and I didn't have regular buttermilk so I easily made the he substitute version for those of us who don't keep buttermilk around. Note: in the ingredients section I note how to make buttermilk.

3/1/17


1 3/4 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 cup butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup buttermilk ( if you don't have buttermilk in a small cup mix...1 cup milk 1 tsp. vinegar) Let set for a few minutes and it will thicken and appear lumpy.
2 T sugar
3 T lemon juice
1/2 tsp. grated lemon zest
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 large quality eggs or 4 small eggs separated




In a small saucepan, melt butter and add buttermilk, sugars, lemon zest, and juice.

Stir over low heat until mixture is hot (do not boil.)

To the mixture in the pot, add the ricotta, vanilla and egg yolks, Remove from heat. Whisk until mixed.

Note:  Beat egg whites separately



In a clean, dry bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form; set aside.

In another large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, then pour in the egg/buttermilk mixture.   Last fold in beaten egg whites gently to mixture.  I used a whisk when folding them in.  Do not over mix.


In a large lightly greased with cooking spray skillet on medium to low heat place one cup size portion of batter in the center of the skillet.  You can make smaller pancakes but I prefer to make large ones.  Using a small measuring cup or ice cream scoop will make
your pancakes more uniform but smaller.

You can pretty much guess when the pancakes are ready to turn.  The will appear to have bubble type holes pretty much through out. 

Top with fresh blueberries, strawberries or any berry type sauce.  Sprinkle with powder sugar and Enjoy!!

From my kitchen to yours,



No comments: