Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Shrimp and cheesy grits


I've been wanted to make shrimp and grits for months.  I personally love grits and if you aren't sure if you'd like them try a small amount.  They are similar to polenta or cream of wheat in texture although I think grits have a little more texture.  

I came across this recipe online on the Food network.  It did call for sausage and bacon using the bacon drippings to saute the veggies but since I only had shrimp available I adjusted the recipe to my liking.  Hubby and I both totally enjoyed this but if you would like add the cooked sausage and bacon to this recipe.  All in all this is a very tasty and delicious recipe. Serves 2 generous servings.

 Enjoy!





I lb. cooked  peeled and deveined medium shrimp
1/2 cup each  diced, red, green and orange pepper
1 medium onion diced or sliced
1 clove minced garlic
1 small lemon
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
2 T butter
4 T oil
2 chopped scallions (green tops too)optional for garnish

Saute vegetables in butter and olive oil until tender.  Add shrimp and saute until shrimp are heated through.  

1/2  cup grits
1  1/2 cup water
1/2 cup half and half
Salt to taste


Bring water, grits and salt to a boil in a 3 quart sauce pan with a lid.  Stir in half and half and simmer until grits are thickened.  Add cheese and stir.  Set aside.


  1. Sprinkle cooked shrimp with salt and cayenne pepper; drizzle with lemon juice. Set aside in a bowl. 
  2. Saute  green, red, and yellow bell peppers, onion,in butter and olive oil until tender. Add seasoned shrimp and stir until shrimp is warmed.





  3. Serve shrimp mixture over cheese grits.











No comments: