Friday, January 11, 2019

Italian Sloppy Guiseppe's aka Joe's


I really love to use Tuttorusso Tomatoes for just about any recipe that calls for tomatoes. They are always consistent in texture and have an awesome fresh tomato taste. Most of my Italian friends agree they are the best canned tomatoes out there. IMO


10/14/17






Today I saw a recipe on their website and I changed it up slightly with the produce and ingredients I had handy and I used the Tuttorusso tomato sauce as a nice alternative.

Here's their recipe and my changes will be noted.

1 pound Italian turkey sausage or regular Italian sausage ground**
1/2 lb. lean ground beef
1 medium sweet onion chopped
2 cloves minced garlic
1 red bell pepper chopped
1 green bell pepper chopped
8 oz. sliced fresh mushrooms
1-28 oz. can tuttorosso crushed tomatoes**
1-6 oz. can tomato paste**
1/2 tsp. fine dried rosemary
6 oz. provolone cheese sliced**
1 cup baby spinach

6 whole wheat buns



  • In a large skillet cook the sausage and ground beef; breaking into small pieces until cooked through, about 5 to 6 minutes.Add onion and garlic and cook an additional 2 minutes.Drain very well.
  • Add peppers, mushrooms, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, rosemary, salt and black pepper.Cover and cook on low for 25 minutes.
  • Sandwich Build: Place a piece of cheese on each bun.Top with meat mixture and finish with few spinach leaves.

Note all with an ** is where I adapted the recipe.

My adaptation is:

ground beef and sausage
Tuttorosso tomato sauce
no mushrooms
1/2 tsp. sugar
cooked and seasoned garlic spinach for toppting 
Small crusty Italian rolls
mozzarella or pepper jack slices

Hubby chose Mozzarella and I had the Pepper Jack...Both excellent.




No comments: