Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Alton Browns meatloaf with adjustments

Hi everyone!




I’ve made various meatloaf recipes from day one on this blog.  I never used someone else’s recipe.  I played with my ideas. I do that with  most recipes I make.  I like adding my little changes.  Enjoy!

This is a first.  I was intrigued reading Alton Browns meatloaf recipe and after months of procrastinating I made it today and both hubby and I totally enjoyed it.  It was delicious!  We ate it warm.  Hubby’s on a crusty roll,  me along with red beets.

I did adapt it to our taste.  At least my taste! Lol

I will note my changes.  The first being the most important I used **1 lb. ground round.  This would have been way too large a recipe for two people.

**The other ingredients and herbs I just cut in half the amount or less.

**I did add 1tsp.dried parsley which he didn’t use. I use parsley in a lot of my recipes.



Alton’s recipe 


1 cup flavored croutons ( I used 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper  
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 onion, roughly chopped
1 carrot, peeled and broken
3 whole cloves garlic ( I used garlic powder)
1/2 red bell pepper
18 ounces ground chuck ( I used 1lb. Ground round)
18 ounces ground sirloin
1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 egg
For the glaze:
1/2 cup catsup
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Dash Worcestershire sauce
Dash hot pepper sauce
1 tablespoon honey



  1. Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
  2. In a food processor bowl, combine croutons, black pepper, cayenne pepper, chili powder, and thyme. Pulse until the mixture is of a fine texture. Place this mixture into a large bowl. Combine the onion, carrot, garlic, and red pepper in the food processor bowl. Pulse until the mixture is finely chopped, but not pureed. Combine the vegetable mixture, ground sirloin, and ground chuck with the bread crumb mixture. Season the meat mixture with the kosher salt. Add the egg and combine thoroughly, but avoid squeezing the meat.
  3. **I did pat the mixture into a loaf pan but only used half of the pan to mold it.

  1. Pack this mixture into a 10-inch loaf pan to mold the shape of the meatloaf. Onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, turn the meatloaf out of the pan onto the center of the tray. Insert a temperature probe at a 45 degree angle into the top of the meatloaf. Avoid touching the bottom of the tray with the probe. Set the probe for 155 degrees.
  2. Combine the catsup, cumin, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce and honey. Brush the glaze onto the meatloaf after about 10 minutes.
  3. **Note:  My meatloaf was cooked in 1 hour 10 minutes







No comments: