Saturday, December 22, 2018

Cannoli's!!!! Ricotta or Custard Filled? You Choose

 Updated Recipe:

                   

I've made these easy Cannoli's with homemade custard as well as homemade ricotta filling.  I am sharing this recipe again for my new foodie friends.  I am very pleased to say that my blog has been getting new followers and I want to make sure some of the favorites don't get missed.  Check out the index on the side of the blog for lots of great recipes and menu ideas. Enjoy!

Family Favorites from my kitchen to yours,


 I made the filling from scratch but couldn't resist buying the shells..  Any good Italian market will have the shells. Ferrara was the brand I purchased.

Mom always made her own shells(metal tube and all) but the tubes got lost somewhere between our moves so if you'll accept that as an excuse I'll show and tell you how Ricotta and Custard fillings are made..

                   9/26/17

Custard Filled


I grew up loving the custard cannoli but as time as gone by and ricotta has gotten so popular (I remember you would get those ricotta filled ones in New Jersey or New York)..My husbands family lived in Jerzee and we get some to take home with us when we visited them.





 My hubby and I grew up in Northeastern Pa and we knew Cannoli only as filled with custard pudding and the ends being sprinkled with pine nuts(colored red and green)  on the end and today we still love them that way and buy them when we go home(it'll always be home)to NE Pa.

Today I made both fillings and will share mom's custard filling and the ricotta one I found on the back of the box of Cannoli shells.. I think they are looking good and they taste wonderful..  I tasted both!!!!!!!!!!!!! 


Happy Italian Dessert time!!!





Custard Filling
1/4 cup corn starch
1/3 cup sugar
2 cups milk( I used 2%)
2 eggs,  beaten well
2 Tablespoons butter
1 tsp. vanilla

In a medium glass bowl combine corn starch and sugar.  With a whisk , gradually stir milk into the corn starch.

Place above milk, cornstarch, sugar mixture in microwave on high power for 5 to 7 minutes or until thickened and bubbling, stirring after each 2 minute interval.  

Take out of microwave using whisk gently whisk half of the hot milk mixture into the eggs and then add the rest of the egg mixture into remaining hot mixture..

Microwave on high power for 1 1/2 to 2  1/2 minutes or until thickened and heated through, stirring after each 45 second interval.  Using a wire whisk blend in butter and vanilla. 

Note: Cool completely before filling Cannoli..


Ricotta Filling
12 oz. chilled, drained ricotta cheese
4 oz.sifted confectioners sugar
1/4 tsp. vanilla
2 oz. . mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon diced candied fruits (optional)
Dash of cinnamon


Combine chilled and drained ricotta cheese and confectioners sugar.  Hand mix well, then add vanilla, and semi -sweet chocolate chips, candied fruits and cinnamon.  Mix thoroughly and refrigerate..Fills 6 shells

Enjoy!

From my kitchen to yours,












5/6/14
12/5/16

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
M. J. Vitelli said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

For the ricotta version, will these amounts cover a 13X9 cake?

M. J. Vitelli said...

I would double the amount. That is if you want to really taste it. I was playing with the recipe and only used 15 oz. But I would have liked more on top. I added some whipped cream to give it a boost but double the amount in all ingredients. If you don’t want it too sweet don’t just use the single recipe amount.

Anonymous said...

I’m a fan!

M. J. Vitelli said...

Thank you so much. It feels good to be appreciated.