Thursday, November 15, 2018

Sour cream, apple pie tart/squares

Happy Easter my from home to yours.




I have seen versions of this recipe lately but my mom made this recipe for many years and she always made it in a cookie sheet and we called it a tart/or squares.

I have her original version in my cookbook that I made several years ago and today I'm making it for the first time since Mom passed in February.

Hers was wonderful..Everyone who ate it raved and she so loved getting compliments on her baking and cooking.

The recipe is easy and using the refrigerated pie crust cut preparation time greatly.  I had no trouble making it. Using the refrigerated pie shell package(2)I was able to adapt to the cookie sheet with a little maneuvering. Photos demonstrating how to below.




Here's my version of her recipe. Hers dates back to the 80ties or before.

1 package refrigerated pie crust (you must use the 2 rolls. inside).
1 cup sugar
4 T flour
1/8 tsp. salt
1 pt. sour cream
1/2 tsp. vanilla
6 cups finely peeled and diced apples(I used Pink lady, and Gala)(I think mom used Macintosh)
1 egg beaten well

Roll first crust slightly on wax paper and transfer to cookie sheet.(Photos illustrating how to)
then roll second crust and place next to first crust.Illustration will show exactly. Set aside


Mix the sugar, flour and salt. In another bowl place sour cream, vanilla and egg. Mix well. Add all to the flour sugar mixture and toss well so that all apples are coated.




Pour apples slowly onto crust. Spread mixture evenly. Bake 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Lower heat to 350 degrees and bake 30 minutes more. After 30 minutes take out of oven and top with below mixture.

Topping


Topping:

1 cup flour
1 cup brown sugar packed
2 tsp. cinnamon or less
1/2 cup softened butter(I melted it slightly)

In a small bowl mix above until fine crumbs using a pastry blender or fork. Sprinkle on top of pie and return to 350 oven for an additional 15 minutes. Upon removing from oven place immediately in refrigerator until completely cooled.

When cooled cut in squares and serve. Delicious!

Enjoy!



No comments: