Monday, November 12, 2018

Biscotti Recipe! Aunt Anna's Recipe

Today’s Recipe for Biscotti with a few changes. 12/21/23

One: I added dried cranberries and chopped almonds. 
Two: I used lemon rind instead of orange rind.


Three:  These browned better because I brushed them with the beaten egg whites.

**** Note:  Instead of rolling the dough I use heaping tablespoons in a row and even them out with a large knife.

I cut these while lukewarm.  I usually wait until cooled to cut and rebake.







This recipe made 4 logs.


I have a tried several family Biscotti recipes!  This recipe was given to  me by my Great Aunt Anna. My Dad's favorite aunt.  These biscotti were his favorite, dunkable cookie :).  I loved visiting her.  She always called me Madeline, one of the only family members who has from birth. 

It's a very long story but that is what the M. stands for in M.j. 

When our family visited her she would always set out on her dining room table a huge platter loaded with thinly sliced prosciutto and Imported provolone cheese.  Of course freshly baked Italian bread too!  How I loved that combination and to this day still do!

 Great memories of sitting in her dining room  listening to her talk about her many trips to Italy to see family. She was so smart and a gifted artist. I loved hearing her stories of how much she loved Italy.

In her late years(80ties) she started painting beautiful scenery oil paintings.  They were absolutely gorgeous!  Her grandchildren inherited them and quite honestly I have not seen them again.  So today I want to share with you her Biscotti recipe.  They are wonderful dunked in coffee or just grab a few to nibble on. Of course my Grandpa dunked them in homemade wine!!!!!!!

 Here is her recipe.   Oh so good!  Note:  These Biscotti are a bit harder than my original Biscotti recipe( good dunkers) but still really tasty with a hint of orange!

 Enjoy!  Happy Baking from my kitchen to yours,



M.J.











6 eggs
2 cups sugar
1/2 lb. butter
6 cups flour
pinch salt
6 tsp. baking powder
1/4 cup milk
2 tsp. anise oil or extract
Rind of orange
Sliced or chopped almonds or walnuts (I used walnuts )

Beat butter, sugar, salt, anise, rind of orange and milk with an electric mixer, add flour a little at a time until well blended..

Note:  After I mix it as best I can, I transfer to acrylic board and work the mixture together putting a little flour on board as not to have it  stick..Then roll into 4 or 6 rolls..  Place on greased cookie sheet. Brush with 1 beaten egg white.   Bake 375 degrees approx.  15 minutes one side and 15 minutes on other. Rolls should be browned slightly.  Take out of oven, cool slightly, cut in 1/2 inch slices, place back on cookie sheet and place in oven and toast each side for approx. 10 minutes until lightly browned. Cool thoroughly before storing.

Note: I tried using a light icing on these biscotti.  I brushed it on with a pastry brush..

I mixed confectionery(powdered sugar), a bit of skim milk and one drop of food coloring.  Just enough to easily brush on top of Biscotti.. 

Dry Biscotti before storing!  This icing dries easily!



12/13/11 
5/5/13

2 comments:

Teena said...

Looks crispy & yummy!! I guess the icing would have made them more tasty !!

M. J. Vitelli said...

Just a bit and more festive!