Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Magic Custard Cake

This is a recipe that I have been wanting to make for ages.  I have my impossible coconut pie which is similar in the concept that you don't actually make a crust the crust forms when the cake bakes.  If it's hard to understand I'll try posting the steps to help you.

I was so anxious to cut this cake that although it was cold my knife wasn't as sharp as I would have liked it to be so the cut is not as sharp as I would like.  It's delicious so who cares, right? YUM


Perfect 6/25/17



4 eggs (whites separated from yolks) at room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 cup sugar
1 stick melted butter
3/4 cup flour
2 cups lukewarm milk
powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Grease and line (extend over sides of pan) with parchment paper.

***Make sure to extend parchment paper over sides for easy removal.  I did not and had to remove it when I cut it.



Wipe bowl out in between beating the egg whites and next step.




Separate eggs.

 



Add egg whites to mixer and beat whites until stiff.  Place egg whites in a bowl and set aside.

 

Beat eggs yolks and sugar until light.  Add melted butter and vanilla.  Beat for several minutes.  Add flour and mix until it it fully incorporated.

Start slowly adding milk and beat until mixture is mixed well.



Add egg whites, a third at a time using spatula, repeat until all egg whites are folded in. (I used a wire whisk).  Do not over whisk.


Photo is of mixture before baking.  There will be some unmixed egg whites and that is fine.

Pour batter into baking dish and bake for approximately 60 or until top is lightly golden.  Cool completely and dust with powdered sugar.   Delish!

 



 
Can be served when completely cooled or as I did overnight.  Serve within a day or two. Sprinkle a little confectionery sugar to add a sweet touch. Enjoy!


No comments: