Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Mom called them "GREENS"

I remember as a young girl Mom getting all her "greens" together to make this meal.

My brother and she loved it! Not me though.

.I just couldn't get into it and never ate them, EVER so now I am attempting to get myself into making it and will share my thoughts of it now that I am a grown up! 

Today I'll post the recipe as Mom had it written down and as I look at it I think I'll substitute a nice piece of ham cut up in little pieces but here is Mom's recipe. I'll post pictures as soon as I make this delectable delight!!!!!


 


6 to 8 cloves garlic
1 bunch Swiss chard or 2 pkgs. fresh spinach
3 bunches Escarole
6 ham hocks
1 head Savoy Cabbage
1 can Navy(White Beans) drained
1 tsp.salt
1 tsp. pepper

Rinse off ham hocks and cover in large pot with cold water..
Put heat on low and simmer slowly with lid on.
Add chopped garlic, salt and pepper
Cook slowly for 1 hour, take out ham hocks, clean off fat and break ham into small pieces. Return to broth
In a separate pot, cook washed swiss chard or spinach ...Drain and add to broth..Do the same with escarole and savoy cabbage, breaking up into small pieces before cooking..Make sure to drain all veggies before adding to ham broth..

After cooking for a few minutes add drained beans.  Season to taste.  Makes 5 or 6
\
My recipe:

2 large cans chicken broth
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic(minced)
1 bag spinach
1 small head savoy cabbage shredded
1 bunch escarole
2 cans cannelloni beans(rinsed)
1 slice ham cut in small pieces

This picture is before the spinach and escarole were added.
Saute garlic in olive oil slowly, add greens, slowly add broth and beans. If you like it thick add less broth.   Pecorino Romano 
cheese to garnish..


Happy Cooking!

From my kitchen to yours,


6/15/11
9/18/18

No comments: