Sunday, April 15, 2018

Shrimp and broccoli in a sweet orange coconut sauce

When I cook I prefer savory and my hubby prefers sweet.  From day one we had our likes and dislikes in the food area but after many years of coaxing and being frustrated he and I are on the same path.  We enjoy both.


I like cooking but there are days I want super easy and I go to the pasta, hamburgers,crockpot meals to make my life simpler so I think but meals like the below are even easier to make, it just takes a little thought and prepping for the meal.  There was not a lot of prep for this one.

I knew I wanted to make this recipe(It was originally a Paleo recipe) and I had ingredients to make it my way so before we left for Sunday mass in order to save time I steamed the broccoli so it would be ready to use when we got home.  The shrimp were in refrigerator thawing so right before I left I placed all the dry ingredients on the counter and off I went.  (You can easily thaw frozen shrimp running cold water over the shrimp for a few minutes).

This was a delicious meal. I was able to taste orange and coconut with each bite. Yummy!





1 lb. medium to large cleaned and deveined shrimp(I used frozen thawed large shrimp)approxiately 24 shrimp
Peanut oil
1 cup orange juice
2 cloves minced garlic
2 T honey
1 tsp. Coconut extract
1T cornstarch
2 cups fresh steamed broccoli
2 chopped green onion(scallions) optional
Rice

Marinade/Sauce

 In a small bowl place orange juice, coconut oil, garlic and honey .  Whisk together

Place shrimp in a large bowl or plastic resealable bag.  Add marinade and toss well with shrimp.  Refrigerate until ready to use.




In a large skillet on low heat place 1 to 2 tsp. Peanut oil. Once heated remove shrimp from marinade(reserving liquid) and place in skillet.  Cook until heated through. Note: I used frozen thawed shrimp. If using regular uncooked shrimp sauté until pink.

Remove shrimp and place on a dish while you are thickening sauce.


In that same skillet you sauteed shrimp place remaining marinade and 1 T cornstarch mixed with 2 tsp. water. Add to marinade and whisk until it thickens slightly.

Place shrimp back in sauce , add steamed broccoli and toss until all is covered with sauce.

Serve over steamed rice or riced cauliflower.



No comments: