Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Low Fat Almond Cake (It was supposed to be)

Hi everyone:

I'm still in the low carb frame of mind but this recipe as good as it looked to me as soon as I saw artificial sweetener it made me not want to make it so I decided since I was so looking forward to something in the dessert area I adapted it to my liking.  That is with no artificial sweetener in mine and yes  I used real granulated sugar.









Below is exactly how the recipe was worded.  I will make notes on my changes.

This is the low fat, low carb recipe below:


Ingredients

  • 5 eggs, separated
  • 2 cups almond meal
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract
  • Zest and juice of one lemon
  • Artificial sweetener equal to 1 and 1/4 cups sugar (zero carb preferred, such asliquid sucralose)

Preparation

Grease a springform pan or 10" round cake pan. Lining the bottom with parchment also helpful. Heat oven to 325 F.

1. Whisk egg yolks until light in color.


2. Beat the rest of the ingredients except egg white, ending with the almond meal. It will be very stiff at this point.


3. Beat egg whites until at a soft peak.


4. Combine one third of the egg whites with the rest of the mixture to loosen it up.


5. Fold the rest of the egg whites in, and put in greased pan.


6. Bake for about 30 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely in pan before removing.
If you wish, sprinkle powdered erythritol and chopped almonds onto the top of the cake.


***Note: The recipe called for 1 1/4 cups equivalent of artificial sweetener such as sucralose (sorry) no way but those of you who are diabetic you must do as the recipe calls for or like me cut back on the sugar.  I used one cup but feel 3/4 cup of regular sugar would be fine and if you aren't into real sweet try 1/2 cup I think it would be fine. 

You could also sprinkle some chopped almonds and powdered sugar for a light sugar topping.


***Note:  I used 5 egg yolks and 7 egg whites.  Also I used 1 cup regular sugar instead of artificial sweetener . My baking time at 325 degrees was 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted came out clean. Also the reason I added two more egg whites I was attempting to make it higher and a bit fluffier in texture.  



adapted from /torta-del-re-kings-cake-6/22/16


No comments: