Saturday, April 7, 2018

Juicy Beef


Easy crockpot meal cause I am really into easy meals.

I could tell you I spend hours in my kitchen and you would probably believe me because I always say it's the most comfortable place I am and it's true but there are plenty of other days that I want to do other things especially if the weather is nice.

Cold, damp and dreary days I'm always thinking of what I can make for dinner.  I honestly have food on my mind from morning until evening because I really prefer my cooking to a fast food or an upscale restaurant and it's a lot healthier and  less expensive.

So the point I want to make with this post is if you don't want to be standing over a stove at all you should have a crockpot if you do not have one already.  It really saves a whole lot of time and you can really change up with a variety of meals.

Just about all my crockpot recipes start with searing your meat or poultry in a little oil.  I know its an extra step but the food really holds up better.  I would not kid you........Once you sear it place it in your crockpot with either broth, stock or tomatoes and you can't go wrong.

  Add your vegetable on the side or add it to the pot right before serving.  Most vegetables as in potatoes, carrots hold up well from start to finish but to be safe don't add soft veggies at the start.  Serve them on the side or right before serving.  Your meal will be much more appealing.  Complementing the dish rice or a few slices of bread always help to fill up those who are super hungry.

  If your cutting carbs then make several vegetables.  As long as you are full when you finish your meal you will be fine.  Empty stomachs with a scarce amount of food are just an accident ready to happen as you'll pick all the wrong snacks all night.  I know I've done that many times............You must eat enough and feel (you should know when to stop) satisfied..


My recipe is as follows:

2 to 3 lb. beef or chuck roast
4 T olive oil
1/4 cup wine vinegar
parsley
basil
garlic powder
onion powder
thyme
salt and pepper

On a large piece of wax paper place all ingredients except for the beef and vinegar.  Since my roast was around 2 1/2 lb.I didn't measure the ingredients but FYI you usually use 1 tsp. salt per lb. If your salt restrictive cut back.  IMO if you don't have enough salt you meat will be tasteless. I think salt enhances it's flavor. 

The rest of your seasonings use your judgement but don't hold back. Just a slight suggestion you can't go wrong with 1/2 tsp. each of the herbs. You do want flavor. Mix the seasoning with a fork or your hands and roll the roast back and forth over the seasoning so it will coat the entire roast.


Place olive oil in a pan. Add 1/4 cup wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar. Heat until it starts to sizzle.  Place coated roast in pan and sear each side until it is slightly browned on each side.  Place in crockpot.  Add a little water to pan to gather up all the little pieces that have stuck to the pan and add to your crockpot with the roast.  

Cover and cook on high for approximately 4 or 5 hours.

Note: If you want more juice add 1 can of beef broth to the crockpot too.  We like a lot of juice to keep the roast moist.










Happy Cooking from my kitchen to yours,




No comments: