Monday, April 23, 2018

Chicken Pita Salad


In keeping with a few days of new salad recipes this one was definitely a good choice.

I have discovered using pita bread!  Actually the only time I would use pita's were to make a pita pocket sandwich but now I use them much more as they compliment most salads and are easy to freeze and take out and heat in the oven or toast for a nice fresh taste.

The key to this salad is the dressing and herbs.  It was recommended that you use fresh herbs but I used dried because they were handy.  **They compliment the lemon and olive oil and I make the dressing a little ahead so that the herbs will have some time to enrich the lemon and oil with their flavor.






1 pound thinly sliced chicken breast, cut into small bite size pieces
1/2 tsp.salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
3 wheat pita breads, toasted
12 cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cucumber, peeled, sliced and seeded
2 scallions sliced
1 tsp.  mint (fresh is recommended but I used dried)
1 tsp. of cilantro( fresh is recommended but I used dried)
3 T lemon juice
2 tsp. olive oil
sprinkle of ground cumin

Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper.  Spray a non stick skillet with cooking oil and set on medium heat.  Add the chicken and cook, stirring until cooked thru and no longer pink.  Set aside in bowl.


Tear pitas into 1 inch pieces and add to bowl along with tomatoes, cucumbers, scallions, mint, cilantro(I used dried), lemon juice, oil, cumin and the remaining salt and pepper.  Toss to mix well.





Note: **I used dried mint and cilantro so before I tossed the salad I added the dried herbs with the oil and lemon juice and whisked it several times to allow the flavor to seep into the oil.

7/21/15


No comments: