Saturday, March 10, 2018

Lasagna: My way!

Perfect!
  My mom and mother in law made their own homemade pasta which is very easy to do and I have made it many times!  I'll share the link:  Pasta Dough    The pasta dough is very easy to make and I use my pasta machine so it is really easy.  Mom and Lil ,my mother in law, had very strong arms and rolled those pasta sheets so very thin.  I rely on the pasta machine..just sayin!


**This is a short cut recipe for us modern day people!


I make lasagna every now and again because it's easy and freezable.  I love to freeze meals.  It may be a little more work the day you are preparing it but in the long run it'll really help you out when you just don't know what to have for a quick meal...

Here's my basic recipe:

I make a hearty meat sauce which includes bulk sausage or thinly sliced  Italian sweet or hot sausage.

1 1/2 lbs. ground beef and pork(sliced sausage or meatballs can be added)
2 large cans crushed tomatoes or tomato purée 
1 large can tomato sauce
2 or 3 large fresh basil or 1 tsp. dried basil
2 or 3 cloves minced garlic
Approximately 1  1/2 tsp Salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper

In a large dutch oven pot place several tablespoons olive oil. Add cooked ground meat and cooked sausage.  Cook over medium heat breaking ground meat into pieces while cooking. Add salt, pepper and minced garlic. Cook until browned slightly.  Drain off excess grease and then add the tomatoes, sauce and basil.  Cover slightly and bring sauce to a slight bubble and simmer for approximately 2 hours or more. 

Note: I’ve made this recipe in my crockpot making sure to brown my meat before placing in the crockpot. Then adding the rest of ingredients.

Check out all my Pasta Sauce recipes on the right side of the blog under Labels.. 

If you want to take a short cut , use ground beef and pork and fry until browned, adding some salt, pepper and garlic, add one of your favorite jarred sauces and simmer until meat is tender..

Next I use Barilla no cook lasagna pasta noodles  Usually 2 boxes will be needed for a large lasagna pan.  1 Box fits nicely in a 13x9 in pan.

1 -15 oz. ricotta cheese
Approximately 2 cups or more shredded mozzarella cheese
1 tsp. dried parsley
1 cup extra mozzarella for top as needed
1 egg 
1+cup Pecorino Romano or Romano cheese( save some for top)
Approximately 4 cups meat sauce for a large lasagna pan.

Mix cheeses with egg. Using  a medium size deep baking dish place some sauce and then put the first layer of no boil noodles. 

Then by spoonful while spreading place cheese mixture then add some more sauce , sliced sausage and repeat layers until you have made 4 to 5 layers.  Top with remaining sauce and some mozzarella and grated cheese..

Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 50 to 60 minutes covered...(for a large lasagna pan) Less for a 13x9.  Approximately 30 to 45 minutes.

Take cover off and bake additional 5 minutes or so to make sure cheese on top has melted and is bubbly.  Enjoy!!!







Put a large amount of sauce in bottom of pan.  I used 10 x 14 pan.

Layer sauce then pasta, ricotta mixture, sauce, pasta, ricotta mixture until you have approx. 4 layers

Easy to make lasagna with no boil pasta noodles.

Family favorites recipes from my family to yours, 



10/14/11 original
3/18/13


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a great idea..with freezing as of course I try to make small lasagna but there are always leftovers.Looks delicious:)

M. J. Vitelli said...

I wrap each piece individual with clear wrap and foil and it stays wonderful.

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

wow...excellent preparation..sounds scrumptiously tasty..
first time here...love your space..
very interesting presentation with nice cliks..
Am your happy follower now..;)
do stop by mine sometime..
Tasty Appetite