Thursday, February 15, 2018

Pear / Cranberry upside down cake!









I keep buying more and more fruit.   Just can't resist the summer selections.  Sure love to bake so  here goes a new recipe that  I tried using pears. I have made pineapple upside down cakes in the past(my hubby's favorite) but since I had 3 pears I decided to try my hand at a pear cake with some dried cranberries..I'm thinking this may be a keeper for the holidays..Here goes:

I served it warm with some vanilla ice cream..


Pear/ Cranberry  upside down cake

12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 3/4 cups firmly packed light-brown sugar
  • 3 firm but ripe pears, such as Anjou
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • 1 cup cranberries
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon table salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ginger
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 cup milk, room temperature

Directions

1.      Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine 6 tablespoons butter and 3/4 cup brown sugar in a medium skillet, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until melted and thoroughly combined, about 6 minutes. Pour into a 10-by-2-inch  round cake pan.
2.      Peel pears, core, and slice into 1/2-inch-thick wedges. Coat with lemon juice, and arrange on top of brown-sugar mixture in a spiral pattern around edge of pan. Fan out slices in center.(I've got to work on this aspect of artful design) Sprinkle 1/2 cup cranberries over pears, and set aside.
3.      Sift flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and ginger together in a medium bowl, and set aside. Combine remaining 6 tablespoons of butter with remaining cup brown sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer, and beat until well combined. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Add milk alternately with flour mixture, beginning and ending with four; beat until smooth. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup cranberries; pour over fruit in pan. Bake until a tester inserted in the center of cake comes out clean, about 40 minutes to 50 minutes.

Transfer to a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes. Run a knife around ends and invert onto a serving platter. A nice touch is to serve it warm with  ice cream..  I'm bringing this dessert to a friends home tonight so I'll let you know how they liked it.    Note: Delicious..only addition I'd make is that I would add some cranberries to batter..I forgot to do that!  The cake was moist, sweet and had just the hint of spice that brought out the fruit..It will be a holiday must!  You may want to bookmark this recipe..

Happy Baking from my kitchen to yours,




8/12/11
9/12/13

4 comments:

TinaRBK said...

The only upside down cake I have tasted is the traditional pineapple. The idea of using pears does sound tempting and your picture does inspire. Thanks for sharing.

M. J. Vitelli said...

Thanks! Adding cranberries to the batter is the only change I'd make.. I haven't mastered placing the fruit yet..A work in progress!

Anonymous said...

I make upside down cakes with apples or with pears.Will try both than:))

M. J. Vitelli said...

I like the idea with apples..never tried but sounds like a nice change.