Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Chicken Surprise




It seems like chicken has gotten to be a staple in our house and chicken breasts seem to be my go to for most recipes.  I use parts of the chicken for soup but mainly boneless breasts for other dishes. I know my mom loved dark meat and couldn't understand how I only used the breast of the chicken.  She loved the dark meat and said breasts were dry. lol

So in my quest to change up and create as well as use a cheese my hubby enjoys I used Muenster cheese.  Hubby really loves muenster cheese and melts it on bread when he toasts it so this was a great cheese to use in this recipe.  Surprisingly it melts perfectly and stays in place.  Much better than mozzarella cheese.

**First I would like to say you can easily double this recipe or triple it to your needs.

My boneless chicken breasts were larger than I usually use so when sauteing /frying them you just need to brown them on both sides as when they go in the oven for baking and they will cook tender.









Chicken Surprise recipe: 

3/4 lb. boneless chicken breast

1 egg
breadcrumbs
salt and pepper

In a large size bowl place egg, salt and pepper and a little water. Whisk. Dip chicken first in egg and then in breadcrumbs.   In a large skillet that you have added about 2 T oil, heat to medium and add breaded chicken. Cook until browned on both sides.  Remove and place in a medium to large baking dish.





Chicken
3/4 lb. boneless chicken breasts1 clove minced garlic2 to 3 green (scallions)onions chopped ( use green too)
2 T butter
1/2 tsp. dried basil  (Fresh basil chopped can be used)
3/4 cup chicken broth
*1/2 cup white wine if desired
*1 cup sliced mushrooms if desired
1/4 lb. Muenster cheese sliced


In a medium size pot place butter and allow to melt. Add chopped scallions, garlic and basil.  Saute slowly until scallions are translucent.  Add chicken broth and allow to cook down slightly. If using wine it will reduce quicker.

*Note:  I did not use wine or mushrooms because I intend on making this recipe again later and one of our guests is sensitive to both .  I think both would really add to the dish so don't hesitate to use them.


In a deep baking dish place cooked chicken cutlets.  Add liquid and allow to sit for 1/2 to 1 hour to marinate. 


  Set oven to 350 degrees.  After about 1 hour place muenster cheese on top of chicken and place in oven uncovered.  Bake for approximately 30 minutes.


Serve over rice for with a salad.  Enjoy!






No comments: