Friday, February 23, 2018

Meatless Pasta Fagioli from my kitchen to yours!

This is an oldie but goodie from the archives.


Hello:  I am re-posting this recipe for those newbies who haven't had a chance to jot down this easy and so good family favorite recipe.  Enjoy and thanks for checking out my blog!  Love, M.j.


It is hard to believe it has been over 1 1/2 years that I have doing my blog!  This dish was prepared for my 100th Blog post.  Today I am going strong at over 600 blog posts and I am truly proud of each and every one that I have shared with you.  I have learned a great deal about blogging and hope that I have entertained and educated you on some new recipes and ideas from my family to yours.  I absolutely love how you have inspired me and hope I have inspired you to get back to some good home cooking!







My 100th blog..Wow!!! I  love pasta fagioli..and I love to make it as well!  Easy and so good! My granddaughters love it so that makes this a great meal to make them when they visit. A definite plus! 

 Mom and grandma made it a lot when I was growing up and I have changed it a bit from their original recipe but the results are still the same..
Everyone loves it! and there are seldom any leftovers.  I am not fussy about how I serve it..Right from stove to table! Make sure you put a hot pad to protect your table.. Italian cheese in a dish on the side.  Put a large ladle in it, extra sauce in a dish if needed,  and it disappears one two three..Hope you enjoy this as much as our family does. I just made this today and it is Oh sooooo good!!!!!.Happy Cooking!

 2 cans cannelini beans (drained and rinsed)

3 medium celery ribs and tops, chopped
3 cloves garlic minced
1 tsp. dried parsley
1 tsp. dried basil or 2 fresh basil leaves chopped
1 medium onion, chopped coarse
1 large carrot,chopped in large pieces( If you put the carrots, celery and onions in food processor and add back into sauce, the sauce will be a little heartier)
1 large can Tomato sauce ( I use Hunts)
1  1/2 cups water 
1 box Ditalini (cooked)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper( if you like a kick to it pepper will give it!)
1/4 cup olive oil






Just look at those beans!!!!!!!!!
Mashing some of the beans

In a large Dutch oven where you have placed 1/4 cup olive oil; add onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Simmer slowly  until translucent and slightly browned about 5 to 10 minutes. Remove large pieces. Add tomato sauce, salt, pepper, basil, parsley and 1  1/2 cups water.  Add rinsed and drained beans.. Cook slowly on medium heat.  (you may have to lower heat).   As sauce is simmering, with a potato masher, mash beans slightly to break up some of the beans.  Simmer on low heat.   Cook pasta according to directions..Rinse and Drain.  Add  sauce toss to make sure all pasta is covering the pasta, some grated Italian Cheese(Pecorino Romano or Romano) and toss more.. 

Note: I use Ditali or Ditalini(little tubes).

Note:  Grandma and Mom used basically the same ingredients except they used 1 large can tomato juice and 1 small can tomato paste in their recipe as well as dried beans that were immersed in cold water overnight and then drained. 






Remove large vegetables after they are tender.  You can chop them in a food processor and add to sauce for thicker consistency if you desire.




They also washed their pasta out with cold water after cooking it and then added the sauce which made the recipe a little thinner (soupy). This is a meatless meal but for all you meat lovers you can add 1/2 lb. ground beef or sausage (Just brown it before you add it to the sauce!)


Happy Cooking from my kitchen to yours,






7/15/11 original
1/6/13
8/16/13

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very good

Anonymous said...

Thank you!