Sunday, November 12, 2017

Caramel apple cake


Hi everyone:

It's Sunday and hubby and I are home resting or so we were. I glanced at my facebook and yep this awesome recipe came through the feed. I showed it to hubby as he was looking for dessert so he agreed to peel the apples..Actually I find that to be the hardest part of this recipe and his agreeing to peel them made me really want to make the cake..........Apple Caramel. His favorite apple and my favorite caramel.. We're a baking team today.

It looked so good and appeared easy enough but I was glad I checked out the comments or I would have not been happy.

There had to be a few changes(a few tweaks) definitely to make this cake work to get the positive results I wanted.

The video was not to my liking and misleading.

 The comments under the post really helped and I was so glad I read them. Changing a few steps I was able to make this cake in such a way that we all can enjoy the finished product.

It really is a delicious cake and both my hubby and I loved it .  Actually I served it with some vanilla ice cream too!






*****Note:  My adjustments were:

After my apples were peeled and cored I microwaved the apples for 10 minutes. In my greased pie dish I put half the batter down first before I placed the apples standing up straight and then spread the remainder of the batter around the apples. Also take note I had to bake this recipe ten minutes longer in my oven so I baked it 350 degrees for approximately 50 minutes instead of the 40 that the recipe called for. By putting the batter in first it allowed for the cake to bake through the center.

Each oven is different so check on cake after 40 minutes. Use cake tester or toothpick in center.  It should come out clean...I found that the cake baked up through the center of the apples and when baked it was still a little soft in the center of exposed apples. That was ok. It cut and served easily and there was not any raw batter.

Also note: I used a pie dish instead of a cake tin. I wanted to allow for room.




1½ c. flour
1½ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
½ c. unsalted butter at room temperature
1 c. sugar
2 large eggs
½ tsp. vanilla extract
½ c. whole milk
5 apples, peeled and cored(I used Gala)
1 cup caramel, slightly warmed (Sundae topping)




  • Pre-heat oven to 180ºC (350ºF).
  •  Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.  Add butter and mix until it resembles coarse sand.  Add sugar and blend until sandy.  Add eggs and blend until smooth.  Pour in vanilla and milk and blend just until smooth. Do not over mix.
  • Arrange the apples in an 8” greased cake tin. (I used a pie dish) Pour the cake batter in the center and spread it around the apples.  
  • Bake for 35-40 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes.  
  • Pour caramel over the top of the cake to drip on the sides. 
  • Serve with ice cream. Enjoy! 




  • No comments: