Thursday, July 6, 2017

Antipasto Summer Salad!




Note:  You can always substitute turkey, chicken or all veggies in these salads for the healthier version. Also try using lemon or orange juice and olive oil for a refreshing summer taste.  It is a nice touch for a different salad dressing!


In the next few weeks I will be posting some easy summer salads.  They are in no particular order, only recipes that I have found to be wonderful and easy to make. I'll try to mix them up a bit for your enjoyment. Here's hoping you enjoy them and that they will make your time in the kitchen a bit easier.



When I think of pasta salads I immediately think of summer.  I started this day with craving some Italian salami and what better way to enjoy it but in some great pasta salad.



My all time favorite sandwich is a freshly thin sliced piled high salami sandwich on fresh Italian bread with cubed aged provolone on the side.  I seldom eat sandwiches but while I am typing this my mouth is salivating while I write..Yummy!  OOPs..I got off track now back to the pasta salad.

Link: Homemade Italian Salad Dressing 
The original recipe passed on from my Mom!

This is a very easy salad to make and it can handle many add ins, such as hot peppers, cherry tomatoes, mozzarella pieces, provolone cheese, diced peppers ,carrots, diced celery,olives, turkey cubes, fresh broccoli florets and just about any other add in you would like.  You also can use bottled Italian dressing and toss it easily.  I use basic red wine vinegar and olive oil, parsley and a few other herbs and toss and allow to set a bit to enhance the flavor.  When serving you can add a bit for of the dressing to keep it moist.


Note:  If you would like a healthier version of this salad eliminate the salami and replace it with oven roasted turkey and use a light cheese and light Italian salad dressing.







8 oz. pasta of choice( cooked , drained and rinsed)
1- 1/4 in. slice Genoa salami (cut in small pieces)approx. 1/2 lb. or less
1- 1/4 in. slice provolone cheese ( cut in cubes) 1/4 lb.
1/2  cup red, orange or green bell pepper (I used orange in this salad)
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 tsp. parsley
1/4 cup red onion diced
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
several green olives
several black olives
approx. 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
approx. 1/2 cup plus a bit more olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

From my kitchen to yours,



6/9/14

No comments: