Friday, May 5, 2017

Pineapple Fruit Cake!

 



Truth be told I have never liked fruitcake and when my Mom would make her yearly fruitcakes (yes she made several different kinds) I never ate one slice.  Never ever!  She'd prod and coax but there wasn't anyway she could get me to eat some.  It didn't appeal to me as another one of her favorites Greens and Beans.  I wouldn't taste them either.

I have mastered the Greens and Beans recipe with some alterations but today I decided this fruitcake recipe I had to try.  The recipe calls for using either a Tube pan or two bread pans.  I opted for the two bread pans because we are going to a brunch and I think one of these will be appreciated..

This is rather expensive cake to make so I was skeptical about making it.  Well I am happy to say it is wonderful!  Moist, with lots of pineapple, cherries and walnuts to give it great texture and substance. 

I will post this as my Mom has it written.  I cut back on the sugar and butter (1/2 cup less on each) hoping it wouldn't take away from the taste and I don't feel it did at all.  I will freeze one for later.  I made the loaf pans.  (With the busy holiday season quickly approaching this might be a nice addition to your Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner)








Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups butter                                                1 large can pineapple chunks (20 oz. drained)
2 cups sugar                                                       1- 11oz. jar maraschino cherries drained and cut in pieces
8 eggs                                                                 1 lb. walnuts chopped ( I used 1 cup)
3 3/4 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla


Beat butter and sugar well.  Add 1 egg at a time.  Sift flour and dry ingredients.  Add to mixture. Fold in fruit and nuts.  Bake 325 degrees in well greased and parchment lined(2)loaf or 1 tube pan. Bake approx. 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center is clean.

                                                                 

I bought these at a kitchen shop in Cleveland but I have seen some similar to them at T.J. Maxx...Teak wood and very durable and I just love the design on them..Very cool..I want more!!!

Happy Baking from my kitchen to yours,







I like to bake and cook/family recipes 11/14/12

11/14/12 original

No comments: