Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Pineapple Ricotta Squares

 If you didn't catch this recipe earlier, here it is again!




My mother- in- law made these delicious baked pineapple, ricotta squares during the holidays and we all loved them.  It was something I really looked forward to when we would visit.  I never had the courage to make them myself because she said the dough was very hard to handle and I never felt very confident in making anything difficult.  Since I ventured into blogging my goal has always been to share family recipes so I decided to make this my end of the year challenge.  I gathered all that I needed this past week and tonight after my granddaughter left to go home, here I am making this supposedly difficult recipe late tonight. This is my mother in laws shared recipe and it has cooled and hubby and I tasted it..Yummy!  Light cake,  light  crust,, sweetened pineapple and a light custard like ricotta topping. This is not a rich dessert!  You can certainly eat more than one piece..I can attest to that!!!

 Happy Baking and Cooking!




This recipe has been copied from my mother-in-laws own writing.  The only difficulty I had was that my dough was very soft so I had to piece it to conform to the cookie sheet. Other than that it really turned out fine and the crust was tender.  Note:  Just allow yourself time to make this recipe and you will have a great dessert that will be loved by anyone who has a piece of it....It is truly yummy!




 Pineapple Filling



2 cups crushed pineapple juice included #2 cans
½ cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch

Cook for a few minutes until thickened
Set aside to cool.

Step 2
Prepare Crust
2 ½ cups flour
2 ½ tsp. baking powder
pinch salt
½ cup soft shortening (spry, butter or margarine)
¼ cup sugar
2 eggs
½ cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
Mix above.. Let stand for a few minutes



Roll out thin

I had to add about 1/2 cup additional flour.(Dough was very sticky) Place in greased cookie sheet (2 inches or higher) 15 ½ by 10 ½   Note:  My cookie sheet was larger than the suggested size so my squares did not bake as high as hers..I would have preferred to use my smaller cookie sheet..Will definitely use smaller cookie sheet next time..

Step 3
Ricotta Filling
In a mixing bowl put 1 ½ lb. ricotta and 4 beaten egg yolks(save whites)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup evaporated milk (carnation)


Mix well then fold in 4 egg whites that have been stiffly beaten..
Spread pineapple filling on bottom of unbaked crust, then ricotta filling on top and bake 350 degrees for 1 hour.. Refrigerate after it is cooled. Note:  Mine was baked after 55 minutes..oven temperatures vary.


From my kitchen to yours,










12/19/11

2 comments:

Optimal Optimist said...

This is one of my favorites...glad you decided to try it out. I'll have to come by and be part of the taste-testing next time! ;)

M. J. Vitelli said...

Nonni's was much higher..My pan was too large..Will do it again..I love it!