Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Cheese Kolache~~ Mom's and Grandma's Recipe



This recipe comes from a Mom and Grandmother who were Slovak bakers.  Every Easter Homemade Kolache was made.  Raised dough that was so tender I would have to slice and eat with a fork as not to have kolache all over me...lol  So light and fluffy that your hands wanted to grab a piece hot but Mom would NOT let that happen.

We would wait patiently until she would melt some butter to drizzle on the top and let it cool.  If she would cut a slice or two from the cookie sheet kolache we would have to eat it with a fork.  She had so much topping it was to hard to eat without using a fork. 



Her recipe is large and would make 3 large cookie sheets.  Sometimes she'd make two cookie sheets and with the dough that was left  make small kolache danish and fill with raspberry or apricot preserves..  Oh my goodness!!  What memories that brings back to me.  Here is the recipe that mom would use.  Enjoy!  I made these last Easter but now I can't wait to make them again.  Love, M.j. From my family to yours...





12/1/13


Dough should double in size when allowing to rise


Cheese topping


I attempted to spread dough first and then wound up stretching with fingers.  I used wax paper and pressed and stretched.  This dough is a little difficult to work with but it is worth it..:)

Cheese topping.  My daughter helped making it with me.  She LOVES cheese kolache :)

Sprinkle cinnamon on top

drizzle with butter

YUMMY!









Cheese Kolache


This recipe yields 3 large cookie sheets.

Topping:

6 lb. creamed cottage cheese (small curd)
7 or 8 egg yolks (separate and beat whites and then fold in)
3 cups sugar
Sprinkle cinnamon on top before baking @350 degrees for 1/2 hour.. Turn heat to 325 and bake 10 minutes more or so. (Watch temperature. Oven's vary)!

Note:  Add melted browned butter on top as soon as you take out of oven. (melt 1 stick)

* I found that my kolache  was baked in the 30 minutes.  If center is still wet bake additional 5 or 10 minutes after lowering temperature to 325 degrees.


Dough

6 +cups flour ( I added a bit more because it was very sticky to touch)
2 cups milk(scalded and cooled)
3 pkgs. dry yeast
3 eggs
1 1/2 sticks oleo or  (3 tablespoons oleo, 3 tablespoon crisco) Note: Oleo is Margarine
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon salt

*Note:  mix yeast in 1/2 cup warm water and 1 tablespoon sugar.   Stir well and add to flour mixture.
Mix all and let rise for 1 hour. (covered)

**This dough is a bit sticky so don't get discouraged.  Additional flour may be needed.  On a floured surface roll dough and if you have difficulty it can be pieced once placed on cookie sheet.  Crust will be fine once stretched and pressed in place.





3/7/16
9/2013

4 comments:

M. J. Vitelli said...

This is the way I know to be Kolache. Mom diddle them similar to the ones you mention as well! I stand by what I was told.

Anonymous said...

I must try this. Have you ever used ricotta instead of cottage cheese? I am going to try.

Anonymous said...

I have not but I do have a recipe with ricotta.

ricotta.

Anonymous said...

Pineapple ricotta squares