Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Chicken Piccata with seasoned spinach, A Healthy Choice

One of my hubby's favorite meals is Chicken Piccata.

 I don't make it that often and I really don't know why although it probably is that I don't like to duplicate our meals too often and blogging really helps me with meal preparation. I love to share all my recipes to help others keep their daily menu interesting. 

  There are a few exceptions and that is pasta and rice.  For our family those two are always a welcome addition so most recipes include some type grain.



 Now on to the Chicken Piccata recipe.  I found this recipe in a Prevention magazine and I try to make as many healthier meals as I can.  I didn't have any pasta, rice or potato included with this meal.  I'll just be adding a side salad.  This recipe was generous so we can have seconds if we choose. Enjoy!






1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 lb. boneless chicken breasts
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 capers, rinsed and drained
2 onions, chopped
1/2 cup dry white wine(I eliminate wine most times)
1/4 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 lb. baby spinach

Combine flour and 1/4 tsp.each, salt and pepper in a 1 qt. zip lock bag.  Pat chicken dry.  Working in batches add chicken to bag, shake to coat and set on a plate in single layer.

Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in skillet over medium heat.  Add chicken and cook, turning until golden brown. Cook through .  Transfer chicken to plate and cover to keep warm. Add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to skillet.  Add capers and onions, cook ,stirring until tender.  Add wine, broth and lemon juice and simmer until reduced by 1/3, about 4 minutes. 

 Transfer to bowl or dish.  Gradually add spinach to skillet with a few tablespoons water and cook, stirring constantly until wilted; about 3 minutes.

Divide spinach among 4 plates and top with chicken and sauce.

**I reversed and added my seasoned spinach to the top of the chicken.

Happy Cooking from my kitchen to yours!

 A Good Healthy Choice!


M.J.



12/21/11 
5/1/13 
7/24/13 
11/13/14 
4/29/15

4 comments:

The Happy Housewife said...

I'm so pleased to see this recipe! Hubby and I first had this on holiday some years ago, in Colorado, and I have been wanting to make it at home ever since!

We'll be trying this out in the new year - I'll be a healthy eating zealot then to make up for Christmas!

Christine's Pantry said...

Yum! Looks good.

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful!!! Will be on my table this week!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Looks wonderful..this is Deb Bender!!! Will be on my table this week!!! :)