Thursday, January 19, 2017

Chunky Chili

Hi everyone:

Today's a chilly day so although I don't have my usual ingredients for my basic chili I'm using what I have in my pantry.

I love Aldi's and use a lot of their products.  When I was there last week I bought several cans of diced tomatoes just in case.  I do a lot with diced tomatoes. they are really useful in a lot of recipes.

Years ago I probably would have never picked up a can because the kids and hubby didn't like chunky sauce.  I wish I hadn't succumbed and gave in because they really make a great add in to so many meals and you can't get good fresh tomatoes all year.

Today's recipe consisted of 

1 1/4 lb. ground beef
1 medium diced onion
1-15 oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 - 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
2 T chili powder
1 -15 oz. can dark kidney beans drained and rinsed
salt and pepper

I browned my meat and onion in approximately 2 T olive oil with some salt and pepper.  Cook it until all meat was light brown in color.  I then drained any visible fat drippings, add your tomatoes and chili powder.  Cover slightly and simmer until tomatoes start to cook a little.  Add drained kidney beans and cook approximately 1/2 hour.




Happy Cooking from my kitchen to yours,



No comments: