Monday, October 17, 2016

Crockpot beef and pork cubes with sweet potatoes




Here's another crockpot meal for you.  I'm thinking crockpot meals are the way to go now that I have settled in for fall and feel like taking it easy.  They take the "what am I going to make for dinner tonight"? out of your day.  You do have to plan ahead but I think that 's a good thing.

Today's meal I took a little from a friends'recipe suggestion and added some ingredients I had in my refrigerator. 

 This is the kind of meal you can add in lot's or a little amount of vegetables (I used sliced peppers because I had them and they give the sauce a nice flavor.  Quite honestly I think sliced carrots or corn might be a nice addition as well.




Here's my recipe:

1 1/2 lbs. beef and pork cubes
1 whole onion cut in 4
salt and pepper to taste
1 large sweet potato peeled and cut in cubes
1or 2 garlic clove minced
1 small can tomato paste
1 small can beef broth
green, red or yellow peppers sliced large
1 cup mushrooms sliced(optional)
bay leaf(optional) 

Optional:  Note:  If you want your broth to be a little thicker in a small bowl place 2 T cornstarch and 2 T water.  Stir well until combined and add to crockpot to thicken your sauce about 5 minutes before serving.


Saute beef and pork cubes in small amount of olive oil until slightly browned.  Add onion and cook until browned slightly. Add garlic and cook a minute or two. 

In a separate bowl whisk together tomato paste and broth until blended.

 Add all to crockpot including thickly sliced peppers, sweet potato and bay leaf. Set crockpot to high for two hours and then to low for 3 hours or on low for approximately 5 to 6 hours.Remove bayleaf.  Add cornstarch mixture and stir until combined and slightly thickened. Serve immediately.  Fresh bread or a side salad adds a nice touch.

P.S. the sweet potatoes add a nice touch to this meal.




No comments: