Sunday, May 15, 2016

Spaetzels,fried onions and deli corned beef

A quiet stay at home Saturday at our house and although I have been reading a great book called The Nightengale restless me wants to do a little experimenting while cooking.  I don't know if hubby will even try this recipe so I am halving the recipe.  The original recipe calls for l lb. of spaetzels and 8 oz. of swiss cheese and doesn't call for any meat whatsoever so if you like you can double this recipe, eliminate the meat and make it according to your taste.












8 oz. spaetzel noodles cooked according to directions
5 oz. shredded swiss cheese
1 T + butter
1 medium onion sliced and fried 
1/4 lb. or less chopped deli corned beef
pinch salt and pepper

Cook spaetzels in water with a pinch of salt until tender.  Drain.

  While spaetzels are cooking in a separate pan fry sliced onions with a little butter until slightly browned.  Add chopped corned beef and cook for a few seconds more.

Note:  I would suggest fried chopped bacon as an option to the corned beef.  This recipe didn't call for any meat.  I just wanted to try an added meat for a meatier version.

Butter slightly a small casserole dish.  Add spaetzels, a small amount of butter and swiss cheese.  Bake uncovered at 375 for 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Remove from oven.  Add fried onion/corned beef or bacon and serve. Yummy. Add a side salad to make it your meal.

My opinion. We both ate it and it was tasty but I'd prefer bacon. 



 


No comments: