Sunday, December 13, 2015

Peanut Butter Cake with Chocolate Icing


Hi Everyone!


Did you ever feel like you wanted a piece of cake and when you checked out the recipe it was so large that you felt defeated?  Well I have come to the  rescue.  I found this recipe on i am baker and it seemed like a recipe that would fulfill my desire for a small family who likes cake but doesn't want it to last for days.

Simple ingredients and the plus is it's made in an 8" round cake pan.  The texture is dense almost brownie like so with the added creamy chocolate icing this cake was perfect for us. It's a bit drier in texture but that didn't affect the delicious peanut butter flavor.  And the icing OMY!  Fabulous!!!!



I knew my youngest grandson was coming to our house after a basketball game and he's a lover of chocolate and peanut butter so he was the official taste tester.  The first piece I had(I couldn't wait) and I really liked it.  Second was hubby and he gave it a thumbs up but the real test would  be if Andrew ate it.  He is one of those fussy children!!!!! Oh boy! After he dove into it and only crumbs were on the plate I knew he really liked it. Honestly folks the icing compliments this cake perfectly.  The cake is a delicious one but with the icing it is Yummilicious.......lol



After dinner and the cake I asked him if he was up to decorating a Gingerbread house?   I had managed to purchase a kit and was hoping he'd decorate it for me.  He is the youngest of our 5 grandchildren and at 12 going on 13 I thought he'd give me a hard time but the sweet boy seemed to enjoy this little project. Priceless memory!


A little assist from Poppy! LOL







OH I better get on to the cake recipe.  OOPS

1 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
8 T or 1 stick unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs at room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup milk
Sprinkles for top if desired for Christmas theme. Optional

Note:  I eliminated the salt and used salted butter.  You can do exactly as the recipe calls for or you can use the salted butter if  you have it.  I don't think it makes a difference but if you are a to the point recipe follower do what makes you comfortable.

Dark Chocolate Icing

2 3/4 cups powdered sugar
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
6 T unsalted butter softened
6 T heavy cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract




Note:  I used salted butter and a little less cocoa to make it milk chocolate.  I also used whole milk instead of heavy cream and it was amazing so you do it your way.  Fluffy, light and creamy this icing is awesome.

Directions for cake:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray 8 inch round cake pan with cooking spray. Note:  I used 9 in because that was the only size round pan I had.  It was fine!

Mix flour, baking powder, and salt(if using it) I did not. set aside


Cream together peanut butter, butter, brown sugar until light and fluffy; about 2 minutes on medium speed..
On low speed add eggs and vanilla making sure to scrape sides of bowl.

Slowly beat in flour mixture alternating with milk, mixing until combined.  Do not over mix batter will be thick.

Bake for 32 to 35 minutes(depending on your oven)  or until toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.  Allow cake to cool completely before icing it.

The awesome Icing

Sift together powder sugar and cocoa powder to assure their are no lumps.  Set aside.

Beat butter at medium speed until fluffy slowly adding  vanilla,  sifted flour, powdered sugar alternating with heavy cream.  Note:  I used regular milk with no problem.  It was fabulous.

Note:  Watch amount of cocoa as I stated above I was cautious and used less for a more milk chocolate flavor.

Enjoy!  Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



No comments: