Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Potato Cheese Pierogi (Mom's recipe)

Last week when I visited Mom she handed over to me her recipe binder and lots of index cards that are handwritten with some family recipes. One of which is Pierogi (Pee' dough he' ) Slovak pronunciation . Last year I gave you my Aunt Betty's Pierogi recipe but moms is a bit different.


I sauteed them in loads of fresh butter with sliced onions..Yummy!

Just check out the "oh so yummy" cheese and potato center!



Mom uses her basic dough recipe(which can be easily doubled if necessary) which I have posted earlier on one of my blog posts. Here is her basic dough recipe if you like to refer to it. If you would have any questions on this or any other recipe please feel free to email me @ mjvee@consolidated.net
 or mjkitchenjoy@ gmail.com.

2 1/2 cups flour
3 eggs@ room temperature (take them out for a bit before making dough)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 shot glass water

*1/2 cup extra flour to add if needed so it will go through pasta maker easily allowing a resting time of a few minutes to allow dough to be able to work easily.

 *Note:   I add about 1 shot glass of Olive oil also to my dough.. (I think a lot depends of the size of the eggs) 

 Note: I think the key to great dough is leaving the eggs out to room temperature(around 15 minutes or so)helps with the blending of the flour.

For the potato cheese filling she uses baking potatoes  and for cheese nothing but Cooper Sharp Cheese.  She grates a whole block of cheese in her potatoes.  She boils about 5 lb. of cubed potatoes in salted water.  When the potatoes are tender she drains them but allows a bit of water(a few tablespoons) to stay in the pot.  She then adds the grated Cooper Sharp (white or orange in color)cheese and beats them until the cheese has blended with the potatoes.

I made a small batch of about 50 today. They really were so similar to Mom's although I remember Mom's being a bit smaller. After sealing them I quickly brought a pot of water to a boil, adding a bit of salt and cooked the Pierogi until tender.  Pierogi will raise to top, then cook for a few minutes. (Do not overcook) Drain and add sweet onion that has been saute'd in butter .

Note: I have a dough recipe that uses sour cream in the dough.  I may try it next time I make the pierogi!

Happy Baking and Cooking from my kitchen to yours,

5/7/12 


 

No comments: