Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Cranberry Chicken Cornbread Muffin Sandwiches

I know Thanksgiving isn't even here yet and I'm posting a suggestion of what to do with leftover turkey.  Shame of me but when I saw the below recipe and I had leftover chicken I felt compelled to make some.  It was very tasty and I know you like recipe ideas so bare with me and save this recipe for later or make it now with chicken.  Enjoy! M.j.


I just saw this recipe in People Magazine and thought it would be so good with leftover turkey or chicken.  I decided to change it up a bit and adapt it to my liking so you can do it my way or you can do it their way.  You choose.  

Fork and knife required

I mixed the jellied cranberries with the chicken and added my herbs.


My recipe says time and steps. The only thing I didn't like was I should have waited a little longer for my muffins to cool a bit more because they were so fresh that they crumbled a little more than I would have liked them to.  Also you have the option to mix the cranberry sauce with the chicken/turkey you can put a dollop on sauce top of the meat.  I found that a little more cranberry sauce on the side was a good idea too!  Hubby and I love cranberry sauce.  

Yummy!

Here is their recipe:

3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 T baking powder
1 tsp. Kosher salt
2/3 cup whole milk
6 T unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg
4 T. unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 T finely chopped chives
5 oz. shredded leftover turkey, chicken or (deli ham,sliced and quartered)
2/3 cup cranberry sauce or relish (I'd prefer whole cranberry sauce as I think the whole berry texture would compliment.

Preheat oven to 350
Muffins
Spray a 24 cup mini muffin pan with cooking spray
Whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl
In another bowl, whisk together the milk, melted butter, egg until well combined. Pour the milk mixture into the dry cornmeal mixture and whisk just until incorporated.
Spoon batter evenly into the prepared muffin pan.  About 1 1/2 T per cup.
Bake (12) twelve minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Let cool in pan for about 5 minutes and then slice each in half(like a sandwich bun).


To assemble, stir softened butter and chives together in a small bowl.  Spread about 1/4 tsp. chive butter on each half of the muffins.  Top with a piece or two of turkey,chicken or ham and top with a dollop of cranberry sauce. Cover with muffin tops and serve.

Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time 12 minutes 

Note: Short cut recipe: I'm using corn muffin mix


Upside down muffin with added cranberry sauce on top.


1-8.5 oz. Jiffy Corn muffin mix.
pinch salt
1 egg beaten
6 T. melted butter
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup sugar(optional)  I personally don't think it needed the extra sweet since the cranberry sauce is sweet.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Grease well  a muffin pan with cooking spray.  I used an extra large muffin pan so It made 4 muffins. Smaller muffin pan will make about 6 medium muffins.

Bake at 400 degrees 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown. **Remove from oven and let set for about 7 minutes. Muffins will remove easier when cooled slightly.

Slice muffin lengthwise and spread with chive butter on both sides of muffin.
**note chive butter 4 to 6 T. softened butter and 1 T. chopped chives.  Mix together until blended. Set aside.


Mix chopped chicken with several tablespoons cranberry sauce, pinch of thyme, salt and pepper to taste. 
note:  I only had jellied cranberries but I think whole cranberry sauce would be better. 

Spread chive butter on muffin, top with cranberry mixture and muffin top.  Serve with extra cranberry sauce.

This recipe would work well with leftover turkey.  Easy!




No comments: