Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Pork Scallopini with capers

 I seem to be running out of energy to cook these days so I decided today I would use some pork cutlets that I had frozen when they were on sale a few months ago. This is an easy meal.  Less than an hour to prepare and put on table.

Around this time of year I try using up what meats, chicken etc. that I have in my freezer to make room for other good value summer buys. It's also a good way to clean out and clean up your refrigerator and freezer.  Check dates on salad dressings and other products that have expired.  It's time to toss!  You must do it!

We are mostly a family of two unless our children or grandchildren come by so I buy about 1 pound or a little more of the meat or chicken I will be able to use for us.  I buy larger quantities of chicken and roasts knowing that the family will eat here several times doing the months ahead.




I don't like to freeze ground meat so I buy that as need it but other perishable meats I buy when on sale and freeze individually for use.  I try to package small, medium and large quantities.

OK. So today I started to think of recipes and a pork scallopini type recipe came to mind.

I have made chicken and veal scallopini but never have made the pork version.

It is quite simple.

I checked a few recipes on line and adapted my recipe to a combination of several.

A lot of veal and pork recipes like to use white wine but personally I don't care for that taste.

Here is what I did:

1 lb. pork cutlets(cut in half)They were tenderized when I bought them or you can do so by placing the slices of pork between two pieces of waxed paper and pound gently.
2 to 3 tablespoons oil
2 T butter
salt and pepper
1/2 cup flour
1 1//2 tsp. lemon juice
2 to 3 tablespoons capers, drained
water, chicken broth or wine (you decide)

Mix the salt, pepper and flour together.  Dip the pork cutlet pieces in the flour mixture and fry in olive oil and butter on top of stove until browned well.  Remove the cutlets from the pan(set aside and cover until needed) and add about 1/2 cup water(you can use broth if you like but my drippings were very brown so with the added water they looked perfect). You can use white wine if you like allowing it to reduce slightly then add the lemon juice and capers and stir well.  Place cutlets back into pan and cook on low heat for several minutes more.  Enjoy!



Candied sweet potatoes and peas were our sides but you can easily use steamed rice as well.



No comments: