Monday, May 4, 2015

Wild Rice and Vegetable Pilaf

When I go grocery shopping I know if I have lots of fresh veggies in my cart there is going to be lots of cooking going on in my kitchen. So far the last few days I have been making healthy dishes minus meat.  You can add some cooked shrimp or chicken to top this dish if you choose.  Make sure you squeeze some lemon juice on it.   Light, delicious and so full of flavor this will be a favorite I am sure.  Enjoy!

Another Healthy Meal from my kitchen to yours,

 Happy Cooking!




2 cups reduced fat chicken broth

**1 cup wild rice, or brown rice or combine both to equal 1 cup

3 T olive oil or

3 T pesto(optional)

1 cup diced red pepper

1 cup diced orange pepper

1 cup chopped asparagus

1 cup diced zucchini

Lemon juice to taste

Salt and pepper to taste

1 T parsley

1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese



In a saucepan place rice and chicken broth.  Bring to a boil, turn heat to medium and simmer until thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.



While rice is cooking, in a large skillet over medium heat place pesto or  olive oil.  Add bell peppers, asparagus and zucchini.  Season with salt and pepper.  Saute until crisp but tender.  Add cooked rice and simmer until  rice is blended.  Take off heat, sprinkle  with parsley, crumbled feta and freshly squeezed lemon or lemon juice. 



Note:  I used homemade pesto, store bought pesto can be used.  Pesto adds a lot more flavor.

Serves 4
**Note:  1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained twice can be substituted for the rice. 

recipe courtesy dashrecipes.  I adapted this recipe to our liking and substituted pesto for olive oil to give it a bit more flavor.

4/22/13

No comments: