Thursday, September 18, 2014

Italian Seasoned Stuffed Yellow Bell Peppers

I found a delicious way to use ground chicken or turkey.  This recipe was created by me for you and it's called Italian seasoned stuffed yellow bell peppers.

As busy as we are and I am sure we'll be really busy the next few months  since the holidays will soon approach so some comfort food is on the agenda.  Fall is the time for comfort food and today I decided to play with the ground chicken I had bought at the store this week and make a comfort food meal.

Our "fussy" grandson came to visit and although he gives his mom a hard time when dinner comes around he doesn't give me a very hard time.  He has been a difficult eater since a baby so I am sure he has been catered to and that probably contributes to his picky eating. When we moved to be close to our children and grandchildren he was a youngin of 4 and I cared for him several days a week to help out his parents while they worked.  I made him try everything I made and quite honestly he ate what I asked.  Those foods he didn't care for I didn't force him to eat but insisted he at least try them which he did.

His bad habit is he smells the food first and if his nose doesn't like it he doesn't want it.  Sad but true.

I knew he was coming over for several hours today so I decided I would try making something that he probably would like but something that I was told he didn't like.  His mom said he didn't like them peppers or the sauce that peppers would flavor.

 I had bought yellow peppers and figured I'd stuff them with chicken and my Italian seasoning.  I used Tuttorosso Tomato sauce (I love Tuttoroso products) and well he ate several pieces of the pepper and since I did make some meatball shaped balls for the sauce too he ate 5 and he tried the peppers and said they weren't BAD! lol  and he didn't even realize there was spinach in them!!!! I feel yellow, orange and red peppers are much sweeter than green so maybe he just didn't like the green pepper taste.  I do think green peppers can be a little bitter at times.  Below is my recipe and hubby gave it a thumbs up as well.  Enjoy!








1 lb. fresh ground chicken (organic if possible)
1 egg beaten slightly
1/2 medium onion grated
1 tsp. salt
pinch or two pepper
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/2 cup chopped fresh baby spinach
1/2 cup garlic herb bread crumbs (I use Progresso)
1/2 cup Pecorino Romano cheese finely grated
 

1 large can Tomato Sauce (approx. 28 oz.)








Mix above chicken mixture with hands gently. Hollow out peppers and clean out all seeds and pulp. Wash well.  Fill peppers .

In a large Dutch oven place several tablespoons olive or canola oil. (I used a medium size pot and it was very tight).  Place filled peppers in pot and on medium heat brown slightly.   Peppers should fit close but allow room for extra meatballs. Add sauce, salt and pepper and cover and simmer on low heat.   (I made meatballs with leftover chicken mixture and baked them in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes and added them to my sauce while simmering.  Cooking time varies.  Peppers should be fork tender. Delicious, light and served with some fresh bread is always a good choice.  If you are watching carbs. choose a salad in place of bread.



No comments: