Friday, June 27, 2014

Summer Salad to delight your tastebuds....... You choose the dressing or the add in's!!

I came across this recipe in a magazine and thought I'd try it for a hot summer day to allow me some non cooking time..When there are a million things to do and you don't want to cook.  I think you may like it as well!  So take a break and buy a store bought chicken and add some of it to a salad!  Happy Summer!!

3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons light tasting olive oil( I like the light tasting and use it a lot)
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
8 cups spring mix( I use Romaine or Bibb)
4 large hard boiled eggs, peeled and quartered (Boil the night before)
1 small seedless cucumber(love them)
1 1/2 cup chopped Rotisserie chicken (grab one at the grocery store)
1/2 cup chopped red onion

Whisk together vinegar, oil, mustard, and 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper in serving bowl. Add remaining ingredients and gently toss to combine..Serve in bowls.

Note:  Today I added some fresh cut mango to the salad eliminated the cucumber and added very thinly sliced zucchini (I had a very thin one in frig) and used my orange salad dressing..It was really a nice touch.. I think peaches, nectarines or even blueberries would work as well .  If you forgot the recipe for the orange dressing ..Here it is:

1/2 cup orange juice
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/4 tsp,. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
whisk the above together before adding to salad 



My hubby's salad..Just a few pieces on mango



Mangoes are plentiful and reasonable in price right now .  .Skin should peel off easily..When choosing, it should be slightly soft to touch


7/24/11










2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love mangoes and we have them here all year around and the price is not toobad.Thanks to the proximity of all the small island nations around us.Salad looks great:)

M. J. Vitelli said...

I am so happy you are able to enjoy mangoes..We have plenty here right now but soon they will not be plentiful..I made a wonderful dip with them yesterday..Will post it in the near future! Thank you.