Sunday, June 29, 2014

Happy Baking and Cooking: Easy Rose' or Pink Sauce!

When we had our Christmas dinner yesterday I made my traditional pork sauce to compliment the Meat Ravioli we were having.  I use pork country style spare ribs (they are really meaty) to flavor the all red robust sauce.  Lots of garlic and fresh basil too! Mom made it for years and I think it is one of the best red sauces out there.  Pork flavors your sauce better than other meat.  Just sayin!  .  No heavy pasta sauce for these delicate raviolis.





I was up to trying something a little different for the Chicken Mozzarella Ravioli and opted for a pink rose' sauce. I wanted something light too, light in color and taste to give us a 2 sauce option if anyone wanted to vary the sauce topping. Note:  this is also a great sauce for fettuccine or penne.

I did find this recipe from the pioneer woman.com; adapted it to my liking and used it.  It was very easy and if I had given it more thought probably would have come up with something similar to hers.

Enjoy!  Happy Cooking from my kitchen to yours,
           
M.J.




After sauce is simmered for approx. 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, add salt and pepper and sugar to taste.  Remove from heat and add heavy cream stirring to combine.





2 T olive oil
2 T butter
1 whole medium onion, finely diced *(I grated mine)
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans 15 oz each Tomato sauce *(I used 3 -15 oz. cans)
salt and pepper dash of each
dash of sugar *(I added a bit more)
1 cup heavy cream
grated  parmesan or Romano Cheese.  *(I used grated Asiago)
fresh basil chopped

Heat butter and olive oil over medium heat.  Add onion and garlic and saute for a minute or two.  Pour in tomato sauce , add salt, pepper and sugar to taste. Stir and cook over low heat for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Remove from heat and stir in cream.  Add cheese to taste, then check seasonings, Stir in pasta  of choice ,chopped basil and serve immediately. 

Meat Ravioli and Penne with pink rose sauce





12/26/12

No comments: