Thursday, February 27, 2014

Basic 1-2-3-4 Cake from my ktichen to yours: Aunt Anna G's Recipe

I know all my foodies love family recipes and this recipe was handed down to me by my mom from my great Aunt Anna G!

Great Aunt Anna G. not to be confused with Aunt Anna A.(hope I'm not confusing you). They were both great in all areas of baking and cooking, always from scratch recipes, gave this recipe to my mom years ago. I was going through mom's notebook and came across it and had to share it. This is the time of year when I most often xo think of my family members who are no longer with us in body but always in spirit.

  This recipe was handwritten by my mom while visiting my aunt many years ago.  Precious memories. :)



Perfect texture and taste..Yum I did have the first slice!:)





1 cup milk
2 sticks butter (1/2 lb.)(softened)
2 cups sugar
3 cups flour
4 eggs
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla  

Bake 375 degrees for 3/4 hour
Bake 350 degrees 1 hour

Aunt Anna did not give us any specific directions so I'll tell you what I did.  I softened the butter and with a  stand mixer first mixed butter and sugar.  I added eggs and vanilla then alternating flour and milk to blend and beat well.  Soft consistency almost like a cream icing.  I place my batter in a well greased bundt pan and baked mine at 375 degrees for about 45 to 47 minutes.  Note:  I also added 2 tsp. lemon juice for a little lemon flavor. Note:  After taking out of oven I let stand for about 10 minutes on baking rack and inverted cake and let sit for an additional 5  minutes to let it loosen from pan.

 Hint:  You can probably use different flavoring to this basic recipe.  Suggestion: orange rind or orange juice, almond or rum flavoring.  Just be careful as to amount of flavoring some are very strong as in almond so you would just need a little.  Be safe don't over flavor. 

Drizzle milk blended with confectionery sugar on top or make your favorite icing.....I'm thinking buttercream with toasted almonds...Wow!


No comments: