Monday, September 2, 2013

Crockpot Beef and Broccoli


 I got this recipe on facebook and although it appealed to me it didn't fill the bill as far as recipes go. 

Here is where I had the problem.  The only thing that is crockpot ready would be the  beef.  All other, including thickening has to be *cooked separately which means you have to take your broth mixture, that your beef has been cooking in,  out of the crockpot and thicken*(it will not thicken in crockpot) so that is one step that I didn't like.  Also you must be careful with the broccoli and should not add it too soon or the broccoli gets  too soft and that I had a problem with thinking I could leave after the meat was tender and add the broccoli and then put the meal on warm setting.  A suggestion is to cook broccoli separately and add right before serving.  

**One last thought.  I thought it was way too sweet.  I personally would kick back on sugar or honey. 
If you like super sweet than do as the recipe calls for.  I didn't think beef and broccoli dish would be so sweet. 

Note:  I'd rate this meal a C.  The only way I would make this again and thinking back I don't think I'd make it.  I don't think it's a true crockpot dish.  JMO...




CROCKPOT BEEF AND BROCCOLI - Ehhh  served over rice( Ehhh)


 Ingredients
1 pound boneless beef chuck roast, sliced into thin strips
1 cup beef consomme(I used beef  broth)
½ cup soy sauce
cup brown sugar or honey(I used honey)
1 tablespoon sesame oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons cooled sauce from the crock pot after being cooked
Fresh broccoli florets (as many as desired)
Hot cooked rice (brown rice, or riced cauliflower)

Directions
1. Place beef in a crock pot.
2. In a small bowl, combine consomme, soy sauce, brown sugar/honey, oil, and garlic. Pour over beef. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
3. In a cup, stir cornstarch and sauce form the crock pot until smooth. Add to crock pot. Stir well to combine. (If your sauce is not thickening, try bringing your sauce to a boil on the *stove top with the corn starch mixture. Boil until your desired consistency is reached).
4. Add broccoli to the crock pot. Stir to combine.( Cook broccoli and add right  before serving)
5. Cover and cook an additional 30 minutes on high (the sauce has to boil for it to thicken).
6. Serve over hot cooked rice.



No comments: