Tuesday, February 5, 2013

My Mother's Pizza! Short Cut Recpe!!

Mom and Grandma never made pizza with mozzarella cheese.  They made it with 100% Italian Pecorino Cheese that they would buy, a huge piece, from an Italian market in the area.  The tomatoes were always fresh or canned (they did their own canning).  I have never gotten into canning so you probably won't see a blog post on canning.  It's just not my thing at the moment!  I won't say never but I'm pretty sure I not going to can anything.

The next thing was fresh tomatoes, chopped or diced and simmered on the stove with spices which were I'm pretty sure garlic, onions, salt, pepper and basil and of course a splash of olive oil. *Cook tomato mixture until the juice slightly reduces. *

Today I'm making a version of their pizza but supplementing diced canned tomatoes(I love Hunt's) and a pre baked Italian shell from my trip back home to the Italian market.  I am using 100% Pecorino cheese but I bought mine already grated.  They used to grate theirs fresh each time they used it.  No storing for later like most of us do today.



Happy Cooking from my kitchen to yours,

         M.J.

Here's how I made the sauce (my guess) I never watched them make it..boo



Ingredients for 1 rectangular pizza shell

1-15 oz. can Hunts petite diced tomatoes
pinch or two Italian seasoning(optional)
freshly chopped basil if available (dried is fine)
pinch salt and pepper
pinch garlic powder (I know they used fresh minced garlic)
two pinches onion powder
pinch sugar
1 to 2 T olive oil
Lots of Pecorino Romano cheese

Place above ingredients in a small saucepan with 1 T olive oil.  Simmer slowly for approx. 45 minutes until tomatoes start to reduce.

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place seasoned cooked tomatoes on pizza shell going as close to edge as possible.  Top with handfuls (2 approx.)  maybe 3 grated Italian Pecorino Romano cheese.  The more cheese you use the more flavor!!! Bake approx. 10 to 15 minutes.

10/15/12

No comments: